- Identification and Creation
- Object Number
Albert Joseph Moore, British (York, England 1841 - 1893 London, England)
- Study for "Blossoms"
- Other Titles
- Alternate Title: Completed Study for "Blossoms"
- Work Type
- c. 1881
- Persistent Link
- Physical Descriptions
- Oil on canvas
- 77 × 25.1 cm (30 5/16 × 9 7/8 in.)
framed: 102.6 × 50.5 × 3.5 cm (40 3/8 × 19 7/8 × 1 3/8 in.)
- Inscriptions and Marks
- Signed: l.r.: anthemion device
- W. Moresby Chinnery, sale, Christie, Manson & Woods, London, March 1, 1920, no. 12 (as "Cherry Blossom"). William Hulme, Viscount Leverhulme, sale, Anderson Galleries, New York, February 17-19, 1926, no. 183, repr. (as "Cherry Blossom"). Scott & Fowles, New York, sold to Grenville L. Winthrop (January 25, 1932, $1,500), bequest to Fogg Art Museum, 1943
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- Harvard Art Museums/Fogg Museum, Bequest of Grenville L. Winthrop
- Accession Year
- Object Number
- European and American Art
- THIS WORK MAY NOT BE LENT BY THE TERMS OF ITS ACQUISITION TO THE HARVARD ART MUSEUMS.
- The Harvard Art Museums encourage the use of images found on this website for personal, noncommercial use, including educational and scholarly purposes. To request a higher resolution file of this image, please submit an online request.
- Publication History
Catalogue of Modern Pictures and Watercolour Drawings... of M. Chinnery, auct. cat., Christie's, London (London, England, March 1, 1920), no. 12
The Art Collection of the Late Viscount Leverhulme, auct. cat., Anderson Galleries (New York, NY, February 17, 1926 - February 19, 1926), no. 183; repr., facing p. 128
Paintings and Drawings of the Pre-Raphaelites and their Circle, exh. cat., Fogg Art Museum (Cambridge, MA, 1946), no. 60
Denys Sutton, "The Pursuit of Beauty", Apollo (June 1978), vol. CVII, no. 196, pp. 446-452, p. 451, fig. 11
Edgar Peters Bowron, European Paintings Before 1900 in the Fogg Art Museum: A Summary Catalogue including Paintings in the Busch-Reisinger Museum, Harvard University Art Museums (Cambridge, MA, 1990), p. 121; repr. as no. 88
"Spring Sampler: Signs of the Season from Diverse University Collections", Harvard Magazine (March 2002), pp. 38-43, p. 43, repr. in color
Chikashi Kitazaki and Mina Oya, ed., Between Reality and Dreams: Nineteenth Century British and French Art from the Winthrop Collection of the Fogg Art Museum, exh. cat., National Museum of Western Art (Ueno, 2002), pp. 212-213, cat. #65, color repr.
- Exhibition History
Paintings and Drawings of the Pre-Raphaelites and their Circle, Fogg Art Museum, Cambridge, 04/08/1946 - 06/01/1946
Unidentified Exhibition, Lamont Library, 1959, Lamont Library, Cambridge, 04/01/1959 - 04/30/1959
Between Reality and Dreams: Nineteenth Century British and French Art from the Winthrop Collection of the Fogg Art Museum, National Museum of Western Art, Tokyo, 09/14/2002 - 12/08/2002
For Students of Art and Lovers of Beauty: Highlights from the Collection of Grenville L. Winthrop, Harvard University Art Museums, Fogg Art Museum, Cambridge, 04/16/2004
This record has been reviewed by the curatorial staff but may be incomplete. Our records are frequently revised and enhanced. For more information please contact the Division of European and American Art at email@example.com