- Identification and Creation
- Physical Descriptions
- Black-fabric-covered cardboard covers; twenty-one pages of off-white wove paper
- 14.5 x 25.6 x 1.3 cm (5 11/16 x 10 1/16 x 1/2 in.)
- By descent through artist's family, 1880; Alice Carter Gifford, Cambridge, MA; bequeathed to her son Sanford Gifford, Cambridge, MA; his gift to the Harvard University Art Museums, 2001.
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- Harvard Art Museums/Fogg Museum, Gift of Sanford Gifford
- Accession Year
- Object Number
- European and American Art
- The Harvard Art Museums encourage the use of images found on this website for personal, noncommercial use, including educational and scholarly purposes. To request a higher resolution file of this image, please submit an online request.
- Sketchbook with black-fabric-covered cardboard covers, impressed with leather-like texture. White spots (gouache?) on front cover. Marbled endpapers. [Binding? Craigen to decide wording, 2/02] Pages are of darkened off-white wove paper, 14 x 24.2 cm. Drawings are in graphite.
- Publication History
Ila Weiss, Poetic Landscape: The Art and Experience of Sanford R. Gifford, University of Delaware Press (Newark, DE, 1987), p. 90; p. 332
Harvard University Art Museums, Harvard University Art Museums Annual Report 2001-2002 (Cambridge, MA, 2003), p. 23
Under Cover: Artists' Sketchbooks, website, Harvard University Art Museums, 2006, www.artmuseums.harvard.edu/sketchbooks
- Exhibition History
Under Cover: Artists' Sketchbooks, Harvard University Art Museums, Fogg Art Museum, Cambridge, 08/01/2006 - 10/22/2006
- Related Works
This record has been reviewed by the curatorial staff but may be incomplete. Our records are frequently revised and enhanced. For more information please contact the Division of European and American Art at firstname.lastname@example.org