- Identification and Creation
- Physical Descriptions
- Oil on canvas
- 76 × 63.4 cm (29 15/16 × 24 15/16 in.)
frame: 92 × 79.4 × 6 cm (36 1/4 × 31 1/4 × 2 3/8 in.)
- Inscriptions and Marks
- inscription: at right: Geo. Chalmers Esqr Barot / pinxt 1782
- label: verso, upper left, red border, graphite: 9449 2
- label: verso, upper left of stretcher, red border: [printed:] MUSEUM OF FINE ARTS / [handwritten:] Uknown / 93.30
- label: verso, left stretcher, red border, black ink: William Amory / frame 6.
- label: verso, upper left of frame, red border, black ink: William Amory / 6.
- label: verso, left side of frame: [printed:] TO BE ATTACHED TO BACK OF FRAME. / Title, [handwritten:] Mrs. Captain Linzee / of the English Navy / [printed:] Name of Owner, [handwritten:] Mrs. Wm Amory / [printed:] Residence, [handwritten:] 41 Beacon St. / [printed:] Name of Artist, [handwritten:] Daughter of Mrs. / [printed:] Value, [handwritten] Inman. Artist unknown
- label: verso, center stretcher: [printed:] Museum of Fine Arts, Boston / Temporary Loan / No. [typewritten:] T.L. 10,643 / [printed:] Owner [typewritten:] Mrs. T. Jefferson Coolidge / [printed:] Address [typewritten:] Coolidge Pt. Magnolia, Mass.
- label: verso, center stretcher: [printed:] Museum of Fine Arts, Boston / Temporary Loan / No. [typewritten:] T.L. 12,680 / Unknown - Mrs. John Linzee / [printed:] Owner [typewritten:] Frederic Winthrop / [printed:] Address [typewritten:] [obscured]
- inscription: verso, top of frame, graphite: 2 [encircled]
- label: verso, upper left of stretcher, red border, partially obscured: [obscured text] -2
- label: verso, upper right of frame, brown ink: This Picture of my Grandmother / Mrs. John Linzee born January [torn] / who was born in 1754 and died in / [illegible] 1800 I wish to remain with my [torn]
- label: verso, upper left, brown ink: Picture of my grandmoth, Mrs. John Linzee, Born [obscured]
- Mrs. John Linzee (Susannah Inman); to her husband; Captain John Linzee (1743-1798), her husband or her daughter, Hannah Rowe (Linzee) Amory (1775-1845); to her son, William Amory I (1804-1888); to his wife, Anna Powell Mason Sears (1813-1895); to their sons in succession, William Amory II (1833-1907), Charles Walter "Ned" Amory (1842-1913) and Francis Inman Amory (1850-1921); to William Amory Gardner (1863-1930); to William Amory III (1869-1954); to his nephew, Thomas Jefferson Coolidge III (1893-1959); to his nephew Frederic Winthrop, Jr. (1906-1979); to John Linzee Coolidge (1937-); to his sister, Catherine Coolidge Lastavica, gift; to Harvard Art Museum, 2021
 William Amory Gardner is the grandson of William Amory I, the son of his daughter, Harriet Sears (Mrs. Joseph Peabody Gardner)
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- Harvard Art Museums/Fogg Museum, Gift of Catherine Coolidge Lastavica
- Accession Year
- Object Number
- European and American Art
- The Harvard Art Museums encourage the use of images found on this website for personal, noncommercial use, including educational and scholarly purposes. To request a higher resolution file of this image, please submit an online request.
- Publication History
Anne Rowe Cunningham, Letters and Diary of John Rowe, Boston Merchant 1759-1762; 1764-1779 (Boston, 1903), p. 197, repr.
John William Linzee, Lindeseie and Limesi Families of Great Britian, The Fort Hill Press (Boston, privately published, 1917), vol. 1, repr. opp. p. 104
Jeannine Falino, Lives Shaped by the American Revolution: Portraits of a Boston Family, Harvard University Art Museums, Fogg Art Museum (Cambridge, MA, 2005), pp. 60-61, cat. no. 5, repr. p. 60
- Related Works
This record has been reviewed by the curatorial staff but may be incomplete. Our records are frequently revised and enhanced. For more information please contact the Division of European and American Art at email@example.com