- Identification and Creation
- Physical Descriptions
- Oil on canvas
- 91.4 x 74.3 cm (36 x 29 1/4 in.)
framed: 101.6 x 84.5 cm (40 x 33 1/4 in.)
- Inscriptions and Marks
- Signed: u.r.: S. G. Putnam / '99
(not assigned): Wall plaque: "In memory of my husband, Manfred Bowditch,
Born September 18, 1890 in Dresden, Germany;
died June 29, 1960 in New York City.
these two paintings of his parents,
Professor Henry Pickering Bowditch
and Selma (Knauth) Bowditch
are bequeathed to the
Department of Cellular and Molecular Physiology
by Elfrieda K. Bowditch"
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- Harvard University Portrait Collection, Gift of Elfrieda K. Bowditch, in memory of her husband, Manfred Bowditch, to the Department of Cellular and Molecular Physiology, Harvard Medical School
- Object Number
- European and American Art
- The Harvard Art Museums encourage the use of images found on this website for personal, noncommercial use, including educational and scholarly purposes. To request a higher resolution file of this image, please submit an online request.
- Publication History
Sarah Gooll Putnam, Diaries, 1860-1912 (1860-1912)., vol. 22, Nov. 29, 1898
Theodore E. Stebbins, Jr., Virginia Anderson, and Kimberly Orcutt, ed., American Paintings at Harvard, Volume Two, Paintings, Drawings, Pastels and Stained Glass by Artists Born 1826-1856, Harvard Art Museums and Yale University Press (U.S.) (Cambridge, MA and New Haven, CT, 2008), p. 273, cat. 285, ill.
- Related Works
This record has been reviewed by the curatorial staff but may be incomplete. Our records are frequently revised and enhanced. For more information please contact the Division of European and American Art at email@example.com