- Identification and Creation
Level 2, Room 2340, European and American Art, 17th–19th century, The Silver Cabinet: Art and Ritual, 1600–1850
View this object's location on our interactive map
- Physical Descriptions
- 20.3 cm (8 in.)
- Inscriptions and Marks
- inscription: side, engraved: Milford Church 1707
- maker's mark: side, stamped: EW / [fleur-de-lys] [in a shield-shaped punch] [mark of Edward Winslow]
- inscription: bottom, red paint: 72.193
- First Congregational Church, Milford, CT, 1707, sold [through Sotheby's, New York, January 18, 2002, lot 452]. Charles and Edith C. Poor, Alexandria, by descent; to her estate, sold [through Sotheby's, January 20-21, 2012, lot 107]; to Daniel and Susan Pollack, gift; to Harvard Art Museums, 2020
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- Harvard Art Museums/Fogg Museum, The Pollack Collection, gift of Daniel A. Pollack AB ’60 and Susan F. Pollack AB ’64
- Accession Year
- Object Number
- European and American Art
- The Harvard Art Museums encourage the use of images found on this website for personal, noncommercial use, including educational and scholarly purposes. To request a higher resolution file of this image, please submit an online request.
- Gourd-shaped with cast handles with beaded rattail and spur decoration.
- Publication History
Florence Paull Berger and George Munson Curtis, American Church Silver of the Seventeenth and Eighteenth Centuries with a Few Pieces of Domestic Plate, exh. cat., Museum of Fine Arts, Boston (Boston, 1911), p. 125, cat. no. 1019
E. Alfred Jones, The Old Silver of American Churches, National Society of Colonial Dames of America (Letchworth, England, 1913), p. 286, introduction [n.p.], repr. as plate XC
Florence Paull Berger, The Early Plate in Connecticut Churches Prior to 1850, exh. cat., Wadsworth Atheneum Museum of Art and The Connecticut Society of the Colonial Dames of America (Hartford, 1919), n.p., cat. no. 104
John Marshall Phillips, Masterpieces of New England Silver, 1650-1800, exh. cat., Yale University Art Gallery (New Haven, 1939), p. 83, cat. no. 194
Jeanne Sloane, Early American Silver in the collection of Daniel A. Pollack, Privately Published (Boston [?], 2019), cat. no. 4, repr.
Important Americana: Furniture, Folk Art, Silver, Porcelain, Prints and Carpets, auct. cat., Sotheby's, New York (New York, January 20-21, 2012), pp. 76-77, lot 107, repr.
"Harvard Art Museums Receive Important Gift of American Silver", Artfixdaily Artwire ([e-journal], March 22, 2022), https://www.artfixdaily.com/artwire/release/6573-harvard-art-museums-receive-important-gift-of-american-silver, accessed March 24, 2022
- Exhibition History
American Church Silver of the Seventeenth and Eighteenth Centuries with a Few Pieces of Domestic Plate, Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, 07/01/1911 - 12/01/1911
The Early Plate in Connecticut Churches Prior to 1850, Morgan Memorial, 05/01/1919 - 05/01/1919
Masterpieces of New England Silver, 1650-1800, Yale University Art Gallery, 06/18/1939 - 09/10/1939
32Q: 2340 Cabinet Gallery, Harvard Art Museums, Cambridge, 03/14/2022 - 01/01/2050
- Related Works
This record has been reviewed by the curatorial staff but may be incomplete. Our records are frequently revised and enhanced. For more information please contact the Division of European and American Art at firstname.lastname@example.org