- Identification and Creation
- Physical Descriptions
- Black ink and black and gray wash over graphite(?), framing lines in black ink, on off-white antique laid paper (laid down)
- 20.4 × 48 cm (8 1/16 × 18 7/8 in.)
- Inscriptions and Marks
- inscription: lower center in black and gray ink in the artist's hand: DU TEMS DES GUERRES DE ROME DES SOLDATS / DANS UNES SEDITION PRIRENT UN CENTURION ILS VOULOIENT LE MASSACRER IL SE JETTA / AUX PIED D'ANTOINE QUI LE PROTGEA ET REPRIMA LA FUREUR DES REVOLTE.
- inscription: signed lower left, black ink: Fragonard - fils invenit.
- inscription: verso of mount, lower right, graphite: 23155
- [Drouot Richelieu, Paris, commissaire-priseur Paul Renaud, June 12, 1992, lot 58]. [Sotheby's, London, February 26, 1998, lot 577]. [W. M. Brady & Co., New York, 1999]. Private Collection, Massachusetts. [Stephen Ongpin Fine Art, London], sold; to Harvard Art Museums, 2018
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- Harvard Art Museums/Fogg Museum, Marian H. Phinney Fund and William W. Robinson Fund
- Accession Year
- Object Number
- European and American Art
- The Harvard Art Museums encourage the use of images found on this website for personal, noncommercial use, including educational and scholarly purposes. To request a higher resolution file of this image, please submit an online request.
- Publication History
Dessins Anciens, auct. cat., Drouot Richelieu (Paris, June 12, 1992), lot 58, repr.
Mark Brady, Old Master Drawings, exh. cat., W. M. Brady & Co., Inc. (New York, 1999), cat. no. 25, repr.
Watteau to Gauguin: French Drawings, 1700-1900, auct. cat., Stephen Ongpin Fine Art (London, 2018), no. 40, repr.
- Exhibition History
Old Master Drawings, W. M. Brady & Co., Inc., 01/26/1999 - 02/20/1999
This record has been reviewed by the curatorial staff but may be incomplete. Our records are frequently revised and enhanced. For more information please contact the Division of European and American Art at firstname.lastname@example.org