- Identification and Creation
- Physical Descriptions
- Brown ink on beige wove paper
- 7.7 x 13.8 cm (3 1/16 x 5 7/16 in.)
- Inscriptions and Marks
- clipping: back of frame containing 33.2015.19-27, clipping from 1904 exhibition catalogue: 170. TWENTY-TWO DRAWINGS AND SKETCHES / DONE BY MR. WHISTLER WHILE AT / SCHOOL AT POMFRET, CONN., ABOUT 1850 / Lent by Samuel Hammond, Esq.
- label: back of frame containing 33.2015.19-27, label with red border: [stamped:] SAMUEL HAMMOND [inscribed, brown ink:] 57
- label: back of frame containing 33.2015.19-27, label with red border: [printed:] M.F.A. / [inscribed, black ink:] S.E. 82 / MRS. SAMUEL HAMMOND
- Anonymous loan and promised gift in honor of Mason Hammond, 2015
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- Harvard Art Museums/Fogg Museum, Anonymous loan and promised gift in honor of Mason Hammond
- Accession Year
- Object Number
- European and American Art
- The Harvard Art Museums encourage the use of images found on this website for personal, noncommercial use, including educational and scholarly purposes. To request a higher resolution file of this image, please submit an online request.
- Publication History
Oil Paintings, Water Colors, Pastels, & Drawings: Memorial Exhibition of the Works of Mr. J. McNeill Whistler, exh. cat., Copley Society (Boston, MA, 1904), cat. no. 170
Elizabeth Robins Pennell and Joseph Pennell, The Life of James McNeill Whistler, J. B. Lippincott/W. Heinemann (Philadelphia, PA and London, England, 1908), vol. 1, p. 28, repr.
Exhibition of Oils, Water-colors, Drawings and Prints by James McNeill Whistler, exh. cat., Museum of Fine Arts, Boston (Boston, 1934), no. 45
Nancy Dorfman Pressly, "Whistler in America: An Album of Early Drawings", Metropolitan Museum Journal (1972), 5, pp. 125-154, p. 129
Margaret F. MacDonald, James McNeill Whistler: Drawings, Pastels and Watercolours: A Catalogue Raisonné, Yale University Press (New Haven, CT and London, England, 1995), cat. no. 70, repr.
- Exhibition History
Oil Paintings, Water Colors, Pastels, & Drawings: Memorial Exhibition of the Works of Mr. J. McNeill Whistler, Copley Society of Boston, 02/23/1904 - 03/28/1904
Exhibition of Oils, Water-colors, Drawings and Prints by James McNeill Whistler, Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, Boston, 04/24/1934 - 05/13/1934
This record has been reviewed by the curatorial staff but may be incomplete. Our records are frequently revised and enhanced. For more information please contact the Division of European and American Art at email@example.com