- Identification and Creation
- Physical Descriptions
- 13.3 x 7.9 cm (5 1/4 x 3 1/8 in.)
frame: 37.9 x 33 x 4.4 cm (14 15/16 x 13 x 1 3/4 in.)
- Inscriptions and Marks
- inscription: graphite [erased]: [right:] bien plu p . . . [in ruffle:] plus . . .
- inscription: mount, by Achille Leclère : ingres. f. Rome 1808 [superimposed over 7] / portrait de Bury architecte
- The drawing was included in an album (now at the Harvard Art Museums, 1965.21) assembled by Achille Leclère (Rome and Paris); his heirs. Madame Fassier, sold; to [Claude Darton, Avignon] sold; to [Lucien Goldschmidt, New York] sold; to Mrs. Jacob M. Kaplan; the drawing was removed from the album and sold; to [Eugene V. Thaw, New York] sold; to Rosalynd C. Pflaum, Minneapolis, sold [Christie's, New York, January 29, 2015, lot 127]; to Harvard Art Museums and Emily Pulitzer, 2015
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- Harvard Art Museums/Fogg Museum, Promised gift of Emily Rauh Pulitzer and purchase through the Richard Norton Memorial Fund and the Marian H. Phinney Fund
- Accession Year
- Object Number
- European and American Art
- The Harvard Art Museums encourage the use of images found on this website for personal, noncommercial use, including educational and scholarly purposes. To request a higher resolution file of this image, please submit an online request.
- Publication History
Daniel Ternois, "L'Ingrisme dans le monde", Bulletin du Musée Ingres (1964), September, p. 21
Architecture and the Achille Leclère-Ingres Sketchbook, Lucien Goldschmidt, Inc. (New York, 1964), no. 124 (11), repr.
Hans Naef, "L'Ingrisme dans le monde", Bulletin du Musée Ingres (1965), July, p. 21
Hans Naef, "Eighteen Portrait Drawings by Ingres", Master Drawings (1966), IV, no. 3, pp. 258, 280, no. 3, pl. 2
Ingres: Centennial Exhibition, 1867-1967. Drawings, Watercolors and Oil Sketches from American Collections, exh. cat., Fogg Art Museum (Cambridge, MA, 1967), no. 8, repr.
Agnes Mongan, "Ingres as a Great Portrait Draughtsman", Colloque Ingres, ed. Mathieu Méras and Alan Godeau, Amis du Musée Ingres (Montauban, 1969), pp. 134-50, p. 141, fig. 5
A Loan Exhibition of Drawings and Watercolors from Minnesota Private Collections, exh. cat., Minneapolis Institute of Arts (Minneapolis, 1971), no. 14, repr.
Hans Naef, Die Bildniszeichnungen von J.-A.-D. Ingres (Bern, Switzerland, 1978), (Vol. I) pp. 174-77, chapter 16, repr. p. 174 as fig. 1; (Vol. IV) pp. 92-93, no. 49, repr.
Agnes Mongan, David to Corot: French Drawings in the Fogg Art Museum, Harvard University Press (Cambridge, MA, 1996), p. 290, appendix A
Old Master and British Drawings, auct. cat., Christie's, New York (New York, January 29, 2015), p. 137 as lot 127, repr.
- Exhibition History
Ingres Centennial Exhibition, 1867-1967, Fogg Art Museum, Cambridge, 02/12/1967 - 04/09/1967
Drawings & Watercolors from Minnesota Private Collections, Minneapolis Institute of Arts, 05/13/1971 - 06/13/1971
- Related Works
This record has been reviewed by the curatorial staff but may be incomplete. Our records are frequently revised and enhanced. For more information please contact the Division of European and American Art at firstname.lastname@example.org