- Identification and Creation
- Physical Descriptions
- Opaque watercolor, gold-colored pigments, and lacquer on pasteboard
- 1.5 × 2.8 × 13.5 cm (9/16 × 1 1/8 × 5 5/16 in.)
- Inscriptions and Marks
یا حسین ابن علي
O Husayn, son of Ali!
- Ezzat-Malek Soudavar, Geneva, Switzerland (by 2014), by descent; to her son Abolala Soudavar, Houston, Texas (2014), gift; to Harvard Art Museums, 2014.
Ezzat-Malek Soudavar (1913-2014) formed this collection over a period of sixty years. She purchased the works of art on the international art market.
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- Harvard Art Museums/Arthur M. Sackler Museum, Gift of A. Soudavar in memory of his mother Ezzat-Malek Soudavar
- Accession Year
- Object Number
- Asian and Mediterranean Art
- The Harvard Art Museums encourage the use of images found on this website for personal, noncommercial use, including educational and scholarly purposes. To request a higher resolution file of this image, please submit an online request.
- Flat case with sliding lid and rounded ends. The top is in horizontal format with three panels containing birds, flowers, and hazelnuts. On the base a central panel contains a view of a town clustered at the edge of a bay, with mountains in the distance. To the left and right are floating bouquets.
- Publication History
Massumeh Farhad and Mary McWilliams, ed., A Collector’s Passion: Ezzat-Malek Soudavar and Persian Lacquer, Harvard Art Museums and Freer/Sackler Galleries, Smithsonian Institution (Cambridge, MA/Washington, D.C., 2017), p. 146, cat. 142
This record has been reviewed by the curatorial staff but may be incomplete. Our records are frequently revised and enhanced. For more information please contact the Division of Asian and Mediterranean Art at email@example.com