- Identification and Creation
- Object Number
Hans Collaert the Elder, Netherlandish (1525/30 - 1580)
After Gillis Coignet, Netherlandish (1542 - 1599)
Published by Gerard de Jode, Flemish (1509 - 1591)
- The Elders Trying to Seduce Susanna
- Other Titles
Series/Book Title: The Story of Susanna
Series/Book Title: Thesaurus Sacrarum, 1585 edition
- Work Type
- c. 1579
- Persistent Link
- Physical Descriptions
- Engraving printed in black ink with added transparent and opaque watercolor and metallic gold on white antique laid paper, darkened to cream
- sheet: 27 x 36.4 cm (10 5/8 x 14 5/16 in.)
plate: 20 x 25.8 cm (7 7/8 x 10 3/16 in.)
- Inscriptions and Marks
- inscription: upper right margin, graphite: 179
- inscription: in plate, lower margin: Illicito castum Susanna pectus amore, Tentatur talami seruat at illa fidem. Daniel. i3.
- inscription: in plate.ower edge of design area, toward left: G. de Iode excud.
- inscription: lower sheet margin, brown ink: Susanne femme de Ioachim se pourmenant en son Jardin est sollicitée d'amour par deux Juges, et ny veut entendre / Daniel i3. 20.
- [Paul Prouté, Paris, France, sold]; to Robert Bradford Wheaton and Barbara Ketcham Wheaton, Concord, MA, later Barbara Ketcham Wheaton, gift; to Harvard University Art Museums, 2011.
- State, Edition, Standard Reference Number
- Standard Reference Number
- New Hollstein (de Jode) 198; New Hollstein (Collaert volume 1) 74
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- Harvard Art Museums/Fogg Museum, Gift of Barbara Ketcham Wheaton in memory of Robert Bradford Wheaton
- Accession Year
- Object Number
- European and American Art
- The Harvard Art Museums encourage the use of images found on this website for personal, noncommercial use, including educational and scholarly purposes. To request a higher resolution file of this image, please submit an online request.
- Publication History
"Luminous Pages in the Thesarus Sacrarum", Index Magazine, Harvard Art Museums ([e-journal], January 14, 2019), https://www.harvardartmuseums.org/article/luminous-pages-in-the-em-thesaurus-sacrarum-em, accessed January 31, 2019, repr.
- Exhibition History
32Q: 2500 Renaissance, Harvard Art Museums, Cambridge, 07/18/2018 - 11/15/2018
- Related Works
This record has been reviewed by the curatorial staff but may be incomplete. Our records are frequently revised and enhanced. For more information please contact the Division of European and American Art at email@example.com