- Identification and Creation
- Object Number
After Jan Snellinck, Flemish (c. 1544 - 1638)
Published by Gerard de Jode, Flemish (1509 - 1591)
- Job Covered in Boils
- Other Titles
Series/Book Title: The Story of Job
Series/Book Title: Thesaurus Sacrarum, 1585 edition
- Work Type
- c. 1579
- Persistent Link
- Physical Descriptions
- Engraving printed in black ink with added transparent and opaque watercolor and metallic gold on white antique laid paper, darkened to cream
- sheet: 27 x 36.4 cm (10 5/8 x 14 5/16 in.)
plate: 20.8 x 26.7 cm (8 3/16 x 10 1/2 in.)
- Inscriptions and Marks
- inscription: upper right margin, graphite: 159
- inscription: in plate, lower margin: Plectitur ulceribus, per saucia membra cruentis Mixtaque cum lachrÿmis tristia uerba mouet. Iob. 2. cap.
- inscription: in plate, lower edge of design area, toward left: .3.
- inscription: lower sheet margin, brown ink: Iob en ce piteuse estat est visité par trojs de ses amis. Scauoir Eliphas Ihimanite, Baldad Suhite, et Sopsar Naamathite .Job. 2.
- [Paul Prouté, Paris, France, sold]; to Robert Bradford Wheaton and Barbara Ketcham Wheaton, Concord, MA, later Barbara Ketcham Wheaton, gift; to Harvard University Art Museums, 2011.
- State, Edition, Standard Reference Number
- Standard Reference Number
- New Hollstein (de Jode) 171
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- Harvard Art Museums/Fogg Museum, Gift of Barbara Ketcham Wheaton in memory of Robert Bradford Wheaton
- Accession Year
- Object Number
- European and American Art
- The Harvard Art Museums encourage the use of images found on this website for personal, noncommercial use, including educational and scholarly purposes. To request a higher resolution file of this image, please submit an online request.
- Related Works
This record has been reviewed by the curatorial staff but may be incomplete. Our records are frequently revised and enhanced. For more information please contact the Division of European and American Art at email@example.com