- Identification and Creation
- Object Number
Hans Collaert the Elder, Netherlandish (1525/30 - 1580)
After Ambrosius Francken (1544 - 1618)
Published by Gerard de Jode, Flemish (1509 - 1591)
- David Slaying Goliath
- Other Titles
Series/Book Title: The Story of David and Saul
Series/Book Title: Thesaurus Sacrarum, 1585 edition
- Work Type
- c. 1579
- Persistent Link
- Physical Descriptions
- Engraving printed in black ink with added transparent and opaque watercolor and metallic gold on white antique laid paper, darkened to cream
- sheet: 27 x 36.4 cm (10 5/8 x 14 5/16 in.)
plate: 20.6 x 29.2 cm (8 1/8 x 11 1/2 in.)
- Inscriptions and Marks
- inscription: upper right margin, graphite: 102
- inscription: in plate, lower margin: Deuictum Golead proprio Dauid ense peremit, Hoc cæso fugiunt agmina tota procul. i. Reg. i7.
- inscription: lower sheet margin, in brown ink: Dauid tué Goliad d'un coup de pierre tiré d'une fonde, et luy tranche la teste de son epée. Goliad giant Philistin de Geth / haute de 6. coudées et vne paume. 1. Roys. v7.
- [Paul Prouté, Paris, France, sold]; to Robert Bradford Wheaton and Barbara Ketcham Wheaton, Concord, MA, later Barbara Ketcham Wheaton, gift; to Harvard University Art Museums, 2011.
- State, Edition, Standard Reference Number
- Standard Reference Number
- New Hollstein (de Jode) 110; New Hollstein (Collaert) 45.I
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- Harvard Art Museums/Fogg Museum, Gift of Barbara Ketcham Wheaton in memory of Robert Bradford Wheaton
- Accession Year
- Object Number
- European and American Art
- The Harvard Art Museums encourage the use of images found on this website for personal, noncommercial use, including educational and scholarly purposes. To request a higher resolution file of this image, please submit an online request.
- Related Works
This record has been reviewed by the curatorial staff but may be incomplete. Our records are frequently revised and enhanced. For more information please contact the Division of European and American Art at firstname.lastname@example.org