- Identification and Creation
- Object Number
Herman Jansz. Muller, Dutch (c. 1540 - 1617)
After Gerard van Groeningen, Flemish (active late 16th century)
Published by Gerard de Jode, Flemish (1509 - 1591)
- The Five Amorite Kings Hung from Trees
- Other Titles
Series/Book Title: The Story of Joshua
Series/Book Title: Thesaurus Sacrarum, 1585 edition
- Work Type
- c. 1567-70
- Persistent Link
- Physical Descriptions
- Engraving printed in black ink with added transparent and opaque watercolor and metallic gold on white antique laid paper, darkened to cream
- sheet: 27 x 36.4 cm (10 5/8 x 14 5/16 in.)
plate: 21 x 28.3 cm (8 1/4 x 11 1/8 in.)
- Inscriptions and Marks
- inscription: upper right sheet margin, graphite: 75
- inscription: in plate, lower margin: ADONISEDECK, OHAM, PHARAM, IAPHIA, DABIR, REGVM QVINQ EADEM PVGNA PR / OSTRATIS, EXERCITIBVS REGES IPSOS PATIBVLIS SVSPENDI IVBET IOSVE. Iosue. Cap: 10.
- inscription: lower sheet margin, brown ink: Josué fait mourir puis pendre au gibet à cinq arbres Adonisedech Roy de Hierusalem Oham Roy d'Hebron Pharam Roy / de Lerimoth, Iaphia Roy de Lacgis, Dabor Roy d'Eglon pris apres la bataille mussez en vne cauerne. Josue. i0. 26.
- inscription: in plate, lower left corner of design area: .9.
- inscription: in plate, lower edge of design area, to right of center: HAML[monogram] fecit
- watermark: Gothic P and illegible countermark
- [Paul Prouté, Paris, France, sold]; to Robert Bradford Wheaton and Barbara Ketcham Wheaton, Concord, MA, later Barbara Ketcham Wheaton, gift; to Harvard University Art Museums, 2011.
- State, Edition, Standard Reference Number
- Standard Reference Number
- New Hollstein (de Jode) 83; New Hollstein 27.II
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- Harvard Art Museums/Fogg Museum, Gift of Barbara Ketcham Wheaton in memory of Robert Bradford Wheaton
- Accession Year
- Object Number
- European and American Art
- The Harvard Art Museums encourage the use of images found on this website for personal, noncommercial use, including educational and scholarly purposes. To request a higher resolution file of this image, please submit an online request.
- Related Works
This record has been reviewed by the curatorial staff but may be incomplete. Our records are frequently revised and enhanced. For more information please contact the Division of European and American Art at firstname.lastname@example.org