- Identification and Creation
- Object Number
Jan Harmensz. Muller, Dutch (Amsterdam 1571 - 1628 Amsterdam)
After Maarten van Heemskerck, Netherlandish (1498 - 1574)
Published by Gerard de Jode, Flemish (1509 - 1591)
- Hamor and Shechem Asking Jacob for Dinah's Hand in Marriage
- Other Titles
Series/Book Title: The Story of Dinah and Sechem
Series/Book Title: Thesaurus Sacrarum, 1585 edition
- Work Type
- c. 1569
- Persistent Link
- Physical Descriptions
- Engraving printed in black ink with added transparent and opaque watercolor and metallic gold on white antique laid paper, darkened to cream
- sheet: 27 x 36.4 cm (10 5/8 x 14 5/16 in.)
plate: 20 x 24.5 cm (7 7/8 x 9 5/8 in.)
- Inscriptions and Marks
- inscription: upper right margin, graphite: 33
- inscription: in plate, lower mrgin: Hemor et Sichem querunt in matrimonium filiam Jacob, et Viuere in pace cum eo. Gene. 34. .2.
- inscription: lower sheet margin, brown ink: Hemor e Sechem son filz apres le violemt de Dina recercheint paix et accord auec Jacob et siens., / et la demandent en marriage., Gen. 34. 8.
- [Paul Prouté, Paris, France, sold]; to Robert Bradford Wheaton and Barbara Ketcham Wheaton, Concord, MA, later Barbara Ketcham Wheaton, gift; to Harvard University Art Museums, 2011.
- State, Edition, Standard Reference Number
- Standard Reference Number
- New New Hollstein (de Jode) 41; Hollstein 32.I
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- Harvard Art Museums/Fogg Museum, Gift of Barbara Ketcham Wheaton in memory of Robert Bradford Wheaton
- Accession Year
- Object Number
- European and American Art
- The Harvard Art Museums encourage the use of images found on this website for personal, noncommercial use, including educational and scholarly purposes. To request a higher resolution file of this image, please submit an online request.
- Related Works
This record has been reviewed by the curatorial staff but may be incomplete. Our records are frequently revised and enhanced. For more information please contact the Division of European and American Art at email@example.com