- Identification and Creation
- Object Number
After Maerten de Vos, Netherlandish (Antwerp, Belgium 1532 - 1603 Antwerp, Belgium)
Published by Gerard de Jode, Flemish (1509 - 1591)
- The Meeting of Jacob and Rachel
- Other Titles
Series/Book Title: The Story of Jacob and Esau
Series/Book Title: Thesaurus Sacrarum, 1585 edition
- Work Type
- Persistent Link
- Physical Descriptions
- Engraving printed in black ink with added transparent and opaque watercolor and metallic gold on white antique laid paper, darkened to cream
- sheet: 27 x 36.4 cm (10 5/8 x 14 5/16 in.)
plate: 21.2 x 27 cm (8 3/8 x 10 5/8 in.)
- Inscriptions and Marks
- inscription: upper right margin, graphite: 31
- inscription: in plate, lower left corner of design area: .4.
- inscription: in plate, lower margin: Finibus ex patrÿs profugo venit obuia Rachel Cognato figens oscula grata suo. Gene. 29.
- inscription: lower sheet margin, brown ink: Jacob prend connoissant de Rachel & entre chez Laban. Gen. 29.
- [Paul Prouté, Paris, France, sold]; to Robert Bradford Wheaton and Barbara Ketcham Wheaton, Concord, MA, later Barbara Ketcham Wheaton, gift; to Harvard University Art Museums, 2011.
- State, Edition, Standard Reference Number
- Standard Reference Number
- New Hollstein (de Jode) 39; Hollstein 71.I
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- Harvard Art Museums/Fogg Museum, Gift of Barbara Ketcham Wheaton in memory of Robert Bradford Wheaton
- Accession Year
- Object Number
- European and American Art
- The Harvard Art Museums encourage the use of images found on this website for personal, noncommercial use, including educational and scholarly purposes. To request a higher resolution file of this image, please submit an online request.
- Related Works
This record has been reviewed by the curatorial staff but may be incomplete. Our records are frequently revised and enhanced. For more information please contact the Division of European and American Art at firstname.lastname@example.org