- Gallery Text
The restricted palette used here is expanded by the trademark School of Kōrin tarashikomi technique, which creates subtle tension between the lucidity of the ink base and the filmy opacity of the white pigment dripped into it while still wet. Leaves are abstracted into dreamlike silhouettes, punctuated on a diagonal axis by orange trumpet creeper blooms, red tiger lilies, white fleabane, and yellow gourd flowers. This mediated inkwork recalls certain works by Ogata Kōrin (1658–1716), but perhaps owes more to the flora that his predecessor Tawaraya Sōtatsu (active c. 1600–1640) cultivated in large-scale folding-screen paintings like those displayed nearby.
- Identification and Creation
Level 3, Room 3500, Special Exhibitions Gallery
View this object's location on our interactive map
- Physical Descriptions
- Hanging scroll; ink and color on paper
- image only: H. 126 x W. 50.5 cm (49 5/8 x 19 7/8 in.)
with mount: H. 224.5 x W. 64.3 cm (88 3/8 x 25 5/16 in.)
overall with mounting, roller ends and suspension cord: H. 229.6 x W. 70 cm (90 3/8 x 27 9/16 in.)
- Inscriptions and Marks
- seal: Roshū
- [YANAGI, Takashi, Kyoto (by 1987)], sold; to Robert and Betsy Feinberg, Bethesda, MD (1987-2017), gift; to Harvard Art Museums.
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- Harvard Art Museums/Arthur M. Sackler Museum, Gift of Robert S. and Betsy G. Feinberg
- Accession Year
- Object Number
- Asian and Mediterranean Art
- The Harvard Art Museums encourage the use of images found on this website for personal, noncommercial use, including educational and scholarly purposes. To request a higher resolution file of this image, please submit an online request.
- Publication History
Murashige Yasushi, Rinpa [Rimpa Painting] vol. I, Shikosha Publishing Co. (Kyoto, Japan, 1989), illus. 106-9.
The Flowering of Edo Period Painting: Japanese Masterworks from the Feinberg Collection, exh. cat., Yomiuri Shinbunsha (Tokyo, 2013), p. 38, cat. 4
Musée Cernuschi, Le Japon au fil des saisons: Collection Robert et Betsy Feinberg, exh. cat., Paris-Musées (Paris, 2014), pp. 48-49
Rachel Saunders and Yukio Lippit, Painting Edo: Selections from the Feinberg Collection of Japanese Art, exh. cat. (Cambridge, MA, 2020), p. 43, fig. 31
- Exhibition History
The Flowering of Edo Period Painting: Japanese Masterworks from the Feinberg Collection, Tokyo Metropolitan Edo-Tokyo Museum, 05/21/2013 - 07/15/2013; Miho Museum, 07/20/2013 - 08/18/2013; Tottori Prefectural Museum, 10/05/2013 - 11/10/2013
32Q: 2600 East Asian, Japanese, Chinese and Korean, Harvard Art Museums, Cambridge, 12/03/2015 - 06/07/2016
This record has been reviewed by the curatorial staff but may be incomplete. Our records are frequently revised and enhanced. For more information please contact the Division of Asian and Mediterranean Art at firstname.lastname@example.org