- Identification and Creation
- Object Number
Mary Georgiana Caroline Cecil Filmer, British (1838-1903)
- Untitled (Abergeldie, October 1865, portraits of Alexandra of Denmark (1844-1925), Princess of Wales [later Queen Alexandra], and Albert Edward (1841-1910), Prince of Wales [later Edward VII])
- Work Type
- album page, photograph
- c. 1865
- Creation Place: Europe, United Kingdom
- Persistent Link
- Physical Descriptions
- Album page with two albumen silver prints with hand coloring and autographs. Page is hand decorated with crowns, flags, and other symbols, blue banner on bottom of page reads "Honi soit qui mal y pense; Abergeldie, October 1865." Honi soit . . . means "shamed be he who thinks evil of it," the motto of the Order of the Garter.
- Albumen silver print
- page: 28.9 x 23.2 cm (11 3/8 x 9 1/8 in.)
photographs: 9.2 x 6 cm (3 5/8 x 2 3/8 in.)
- Inscriptions and Marks
- (not assigned): Sitter's christian names are inscribed beneath photographs.
- Seiden & de Cuevas, Inc., New York, NY, purchased from Christie's, 1978, Gift to the Fogg Art Museum, 1982. On Long Term Loan to the Fogg Art Museum from 1978 to 1982
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- Harvard Art Museums/Fogg Museum, Purchase through the generosity of Melvin R. Seiden
- Object Number
- European and American Art
- The Harvard Art Museums encourage the use of images found on this website for personal, noncommercial use, including educational and scholarly purposes. To request a higher resolution file of this image, please submit an online request.
- Sitter information:
Alexandra of Denmark, Princess of Wales (1844-1925)
Albert Edward, Prince of Wales (1841-1910)
- Publication History
Stephan Wolohojian and Alvin L. Clark, Jr., Harvard Art Museum/ Handbook, ed. Stephan Wolohojian, Harvard Art Museum (Cambridge, 2008), p. 150, repr.
- Related Works
This record has been reviewed by the curatorial staff but may be incomplete. Our records are frequently revised and enhanced. For more information please contact the Division of European and American Art at email@example.com