- Identification and Creation
- Object Number
Giovanni Battista Tiepolo, Italian (Venice, Italy 1696 - 1770 Madrid, Spain)
- The Penitent Magdalene
- Work Type
- 18th century
- Creation Place: Europe, Italy, Veneto, Venice
- Persistent Link
- Physical Descriptions
- Brown ink and brown wash over black chalk on off-white antique laid paper
- 43 x 29.8 cm (16 15/16 x 11 3/4 in.)
- Inscriptions and Marks
- inscription: upper right, graphite: 75 [Orloff number]
- collector's mark: l.r. corner: Jean Cailleux's collector's mark
- Gregory Vladimirovitch Orloff (1777-1826) (1); Prince Alexis Orloff, by descent; his sale, Paris, Galerie Georges Petit, 29-30 April 1920, lot 111 (2); Jean Cailleux, Paris (his mark, lower right); Jeffrey Horvitz, Beverly Farms, MA, sold; to Vermeer Associates Limited, Brampton, Ontario, 1995, sold; to Harvard University Art Museums, 1998, inv. no. 1998.223 (3)
(1) It is believed that the album was the purchase of Gregory Vladimirovitch Orloff.
(2) This is the famous auction known as the "Orloff sale," a two-day dispersal in Paris of the late Prince Alexis Orloff's art collection.
(3) The drawing was placed on long-term loan with HUAM in 1995.
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- Harvard Art Museums/Fogg Museum, Purchase through the generosity of an anonymous donor and the Kate, Maurice R., and Melvin R. Seiden Fund in memory of Lore Heinemann and in honor of Eugene V. Thaw
- Accession Year
- Object Number
- European and American Art
- Publication History
Catalogue des Tableaux Anciens, auct. cat., Galerie Georges Petit (Paris, France, April 29, 1920 - April 30, 1920), cat. no. 111, repr.
George Knox, "The Orloff Album of Tiepolo Drawings", The Burlington Magazine (1961), vol. CIII, 1961, pp. 269-275, pp. 273, 275
Linda Wolk-Simon, Italian Old Master Drawings from the Collection of Jeffrey E. Horvitz, exh. cat., University of Florida (Gainesville, FL, 1991), cat. no. 28, repr.
James Cuno, ed., Harvard University Art Museums Annual Report, 1998-99, Harvard University Art Museums (Cambridge, 2000), p. 26, repr.
- Exhibition History
Italian Old Master Drawings from the Collection of Jeffrey E. Horvitz, Samuel P. Harn Museum of Art, Gainsville, 07/12/1991 - 09/08/1991; Spencer Museum of Art, Lawrence, 10/06/1991 - 11/17/1991; Minneapolis Institute of Arts, Minneapolis, 12/14/1991 - 02/16/1992; Harvard University Art Museums, Cambridge, 08/15/1992 - 10/11/1992; Taft Museum, Cincinnati, 11/19/1992 - 01/10/1993; Museum of Fine Arts, Montreal, Montreal, 01/29/1993 - 03/21/1993
This record has been reviewed by the curatorial staff but may be incomplete. Our records are frequently revised and enhanced. For more information please contact the Division of European and American Art at firstname.lastname@example.org