- Identification and Creation
- Physical Descriptions
- Oil on canvas
- 68.6 x 56.5 cm (27 x 22 1/4 in.)
framed: 90.2 x 78.7 x 1.9 cm (35 1/2 x 31 x 3/4 in.)
- Probably commissioned by the sitter, 1855; descent through the family to the sitter's foster son, George Smith; his gift to Harvard University, 1902.
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- Harvard University Portrait Collection, Bequest of George Smith to Harvard University, 1902
- Object Number
- European and American Art
- The Harvard Art Museums encourage the use of images found on this website for personal, noncommercial use, including educational and scholarly purposes. To request a higher resolution file of this image, please submit an online request.
- Publication History
Laura M. Huntsinger, Harvard Portraits: A Catalogue of Portrait Paintings at Harvard University, ed. Alan Burroughs, Harvard University Press (Cambridge, MA, 1936), p. 125
Theodore E. Stebbins, Jr. and Melissa Renn, American Paintings at Harvard, Volume One: Paintings, Watercolors, and Pastels by Artists Born before 1826, Yale University Press (U.S.) and Harvard Art Museums (Cambridge and New Haven, 2014), pp. 227-28, cat. 176, ill.
This record has been reviewed by the curatorial staff but may be incomplete. Our records are frequently revised and enhanced. For more information please contact the Division of European and American Art at firstname.lastname@example.org