- Identification and Creation
- Physical Descriptions
- Oil on canvas
- 76.2 x 49.2 cm (30 x 19 3/8 in.)
framed: 87.3 x 59.7 x 3.2 cm (34 3/8 x 23 1/2 x 1 1/4 in.)
- Dorothy Palmer, sister of the sitter; purchased from her by Scott and Fowles, New York, 1937; purchased from them by Grenville L.Winthrop, New York, February 10, 1939; his gift to the Fogg Art Museum, 1942.
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- Harvard Art Museums/Fogg Museum, Gift of Grenville L. Winthrop, Class of 1886
- Accession Year
- Object Number
- European and American Art
- THIS WORK MAY NOT BE LENT BY THE TERMS OF ITS ACQUISITION TO THE HARVARD ART MUSEUMS.
- The Harvard Art Museums encourage the use of images found on this website for personal, noncommercial use, including educational and scholarly purposes. To request a higher resolution file of this image, please submit an online request.
- Miss Elsie Palmer later became Mrs. L. H. Myers.
- Publication History
Charles Merrill Mount, John Singer Sargent: A Biography, W. W. Norton & Company (New York, NY, 1955), no. 8917, p. 432
David McKibbin, Sargent's Boston, exh. cat., Museum of Fine Arts, Boston (Boston, MA, 1956), p. 115, Check List of Sargent's Portraits
John Singer Sargent, His Own Work, exh. cat., Coe Kerr Gallery, Inc. (New York, NY, 1980), in checklist, unpaginated
Elaine Kilmurray and Richard Ormond, John Singer Sargent, exh. cat., Tate Gallery Publishing Limited (London, England, 1998), p. 139, under no. 48
Richard Ormond and Elaine Kilmurray, John Singer Sargent: The Early Portraits, Yale University Press (New Haven, CT and London, England, 1998), cat. no. 188; pp. 191 - 193, repr. in color p. 192
Richard Ormond and Elaine Kilmurray, John Singer Sargent: Portraits of the 1890s, Yale University Press (New Haven, CT and London, England, 2002), p. 14
Theodore E. Stebbins, Jr., Virginia Anderson, and Kimberly Orcutt, ed., American Paintings at Harvard, Volume Two, Paintings, Drawings, Pastels and Stained Glass by Artists Born 1826-1856, Harvard Art Museums and Yale University Press (U.S.) (Cambridge, MA and New Haven, CT, 2008), p. 305, cat. no. 320, reproduced in color
This record has been reviewed by the curatorial staff but may be incomplete. Our records are frequently revised and enhanced. For more information please contact the Division of European and American Art at email@example.com