- Identification and Creation
- Object Number
John Singer Sargent, American (Florence, Italy 1856 - 1925 London, England)
- Courtyard of the Scuola Grande di San Giovanni Evangelista, Venice, Italy.
- Other Titles
- Former Title: San Giovanni Evangelista
- Work Type
- Persistent Link
- Physical Descriptions
- Oil on canvas
- 56.2 x 71.8 cm (22 1/8 x 28 1/4 in.)
- Inscriptions and Marks
- Signed: l.l.: John S. Sargent; l.r.: 1913
- R. Langton Douglas, 1920; Daniel Farr, Philadelphia, by April 1923; Macbeth Galleries, new York, 1929; Grenville L. Winthrop, New York; his gift to Fogg Art Museum, 1942.
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- Harvard Art Museums/Fogg Museum, Gift of Grenville L. Winthrop, Class of 1886
- Accession Year
- Object Number
- European and American Art
- THIS WORK MAY NOT BE LENT BY THE TERMS OF ITS ACQUISITION TO THE HARVARD ART MUSEUMS.
- The Harvard Art Museums encourage the use of images found on this website for personal, noncommercial use, including educational and scholarly purposes. To request a higher resolution file of this image, please submit an online request.
- Publication History
William Howe Downes, John S. Sargent, His Life and Work, Little, Brown & Company (Boston, MA, 1925), p. 262
Evan Charteris, John Sargent, Charles Scribner's Sons (New York, NY, 1927), p. 292
Charles Merrill Mount, John Singer Sargent: A Biography, W. W. Norton & Company (New York, NY, 1955), K134, p. 451
John Singer Sargent, His Own Work, exh. cat., Coe Kerr Gallery, Inc. (New York, NY, 1980), in checklist, unpaginated
Warren Adelson, Sargent Abroad: Figures and Landscapes, Abbeville Press (New York, NY, 1997), repr. in color p. 209, fig. 218
Warren Adelson, William H. Gerdts, and Elaine Kilmurray, Sargent's Venice, Yale University Press (U.S.) (New Haven and London, 2006), pp. 121, 124
Theodore E. Stebbins, Jr., Virginia Anderson, and Kimberly Orcutt, ed., American Paintings at Harvard, Volume Two, Paintings, Drawings, Pastels and Stained Glass by Artists Born 1826-1856, Harvard Art Museums and Yale University Press (U.S.) (Cambridge, MA and New Haven, CT, 2008), p. 336, cat. no. 353, reproduced in b&w
Richard Ormond and Elaine Kilmurray, John Singer Sargent: Venetian Figures and Landscapes, 1898-1913, Yale University Press (U.S.) (New Haven and London, 2009), pp. 212-213, 250 as no. 1155. repr. in color p. 213.
Richard Ormond and Elaine Kilmurray, John Singer Sargent: Figures and Landscapes, 1900-1907, Yale University Press (U.S.) (New Haven and London, 2012), p. 98 (note 6)
Richard Ormond and Elaine Kilmurray, John Singer Sargent: Figures and Landscapes, 1908-1913, Yale University Press (U.S.) (New Haven and London, 2014), p. 103 n. 6
- Exhibition History
For Students of Art and Lovers of Beauty: Highlights from the Collection of Grenville L. Winthrop, Harvard University Art Museums, Fogg Art Museum, Cambridge, 04/16/2004
- Related Works
This record has been reviewed by the curatorial staff but may be incomplete. Our records are frequently revised and enhanced. For more information please contact the Division of European and American Art at firstname.lastname@example.org