- Identification and Creation
- Object Number
James Frothingham, American (Charlestown, MA 1786 - 1864 Brooklyn, NY)
James Walker (Burlington, Massachusetts 1794-1874 Cambridge, Massachusetts)
- James Walker (1794-1874)
- Work Type
- c. 1825
- Creation Place: North America, United States
- Persistent Link
- Physical Descriptions
- Oil on canvas
- 76.2 x 63.3 cm (30 x 24 15/16 in.)
framed: 101 x 87.6 x 12.1 cm (39 3/4 x 34 1/2 x 4 3/4 in.)
- Inscriptions and Marks
- plaque: " REV. JAMES WALKER. D.D. L.L.D./1794-----1874/JAMES FROTHINGHAM + PINXIT/ ABOUT 1825"
- Gift of the Harvard Church, Charlestown, to Harvard College, 1905.
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- Harvard University Portrait Collection, Gift of the Harvard Church, Charlestown, to Harvard College, 1905
- Object Number
- European and American Art
- Publication History
"Corporation Records", The Harvard Graduates' Magazine (1904-1905), vol. XIII, no. 49, p. 634.
Laura M. Huntsinger, Harvard Portraits: A Catalogue of Portrait Paintings at Harvard University, ed. Alan Burroughs, Harvard University Press (Cambridge, MA, 1936), p. 140
Theodore E. Stebbins, Jr. and Melissa Renn, American Paintings at Harvard, Volume One: Paintings, Watercolors, and Pastels by Artists Born before 1826, Yale University Press (U.S.) and Harvard Art Museums (Cambridge and New Haven, 2014), pp. 213, 271, 404, cat. 163, ill.
This record has been reviewed by the curatorial staff but may be incomplete. Our records are frequently revised and enhanced. For more information please contact the Division of European and American Art at email@example.com