- Identification and Creation
- Physical Descriptions
- Opaque watercolor on purple construction paper
- actual: 17.5 x 20.5 cm (6 7/8 x 8 1/16 in.)
- Mark Rothko; to the Mark Rothko Foundation, Inc., New York, New York, 1970, gift; to the Harvard University Art Museums, 1986.
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- Harvard Art Museums/Fogg Museum, Gift of The Mark Rothko Foundation, Inc.
- © Kate Rothko Prizel & Christopher Rothko / Artists Rights Society (ARS), New York
- Accession Year
- Object Number
- Modern and Contemporary Art
- The Harvard Art Museums encourage the use of images found on this website for personal, noncommercial use, including educational and scholarly purposes. To request a higher resolution file of this image, please submit an online request.
- Publication History
Eliminating the Obstacles between the Painter and the Observer: the Mark Rothko Foundation, 1976-198, Mark Rothko Foundation (New York, NY, 1986?), p. 54
Marjorie B. Cohn, ed., Mark Rothko's Harvard Murals, Center for Conservation Studies, Harvard University Art Museums (Cambridge, MA, 1988), p. 48, repr. p. 49 (r&v); recto, p. 36; verso, p. 35
Oliver Wick, Mark Rothko: Works on Paper 1930-1969; Herbert Matter and Kurt Blum: Two Swiss Photographers Encounter Mark Rothko, exh. cat., Galerie Beyeler (Basel, 2005), p. 30, note 34
Annie Wilker and Jens Stenger, "A Technical Analysis of the Materials Used in Mark Rothko's Mural Studies" (thesis (certificate in conservation), Straus Center for Conservation and Technical Studies, 2008), Unpublished, passim
- Exhibition History
Mark Rothko’s Harvard Murals, Harvard University Art Museums, Cambridge, 08/06/1988 - 10/02/1988
This record has been reviewed by the curatorial staff but may be incomplete. Our records are frequently revised and enhanced. For more information please contact the Division of Modern and Contemporary Art at firstname.lastname@example.org