- Identification and Creation
- Physical Descriptions
- Gray tempera, black ink, graphite, and scratchwork on off-white wove paper; verso: black ink and graphite
- actual: 17.8 x 25.4 cm (7 x 10 in.)
- Inscriptions and Marks
- Signed: black ink, l.r.: DS
- inscription: l.r., graphite: 1937
- inscription: verso, l.r., graphite: Horse & rider painted while [or white?] green black / made 1938
- inscription: l.r.c., graphite: 1785-6
- David Smith, Bolton Landing, New York, gift; to Lois Orswell, Pomfret Center, Connecticut, 1961, gift; to Harvard University Art Museums, 1966.
NOTE: See correspondence from Mrs. Orswell in curatorial file for 1966.16: "Some time ago, David gave me the sketches saying they were early ones and would I give them to the Fogg "some time."... I think my name should not be used for the purposes of labels etc., and that they should be "gift of David Smith"."
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- Harvard Art Museums/Fogg Museum, Gift of David Smith
- © 2020 The Estate of David Smith / Licensed by VAGA at Artists Rights Society (ARS), NY
- Accession Year
- Object Number
- Modern and Contemporary Art
- The Harvard Art Museums encourage the use of images found on this website for personal, noncommercial use, including educational and scholarly purposes. To request a higher resolution file of this image, please submit an online request.
- Upper edge of sheet irregular.
- Publication History
Kenyon Castle Bolton, III, Peter G. Huenink, Earl A. Powell III, Harry Z. Rand, and Nanette C. Sexton, American Art at Harvard, exh. cat., Fogg Art Museum (Cambridge, MA, 1972), cat. 152, ill.
"Drawings on Exhibition", Drawing (July 1995 - August 1995), vol. XVII, no. 2, reproduced in b/w p. 38
Sarah Kianovsky, David Smith: This Work is My Identity, brochure, Harvard University Art Museums (Cambridge, MA, 1995), reproduced in b/w p. 4
Marjorie B. Cohn and Sarah Kianovsky, Lois Orswell, David Smith, and Modern Art, exh. cat., Harvard University Art Museums (Cambridge, MA, 2002), cat. no. 228, fig. 171, pp. 267 note 76, 349, 352 (repr. b/w), 379
- Exhibition History
American Art at Harvard, Fogg Art Museum, Cambridge, 04/19/1972 - 06/18/1972
David Smith: "This work is my identity", Harvard University Art Museums, Cambridge, 06/03/1995 - 05/05/1996
Lois Orswell, David Smith, and Modern Art, Harvard University Art Museums, Cambridge, 09/21/2002 - 02/16/2003
32Q: 1320 Social Realism, Harvard Art Museums, Cambridge, 10/18/2018 - 04/18/2019
This record has been reviewed by the curatorial staff but may be incomplete. Our records are frequently revised and enhanced. For more information please contact the Division of Modern and Contemporary Art at email@example.com