- Identification and Creation
- Physical Descriptions
- Graphite and black crayon with touches of white chalk on tracing paper
- 55.1 x 32.7 cm (21 11/16 x 12 7/8 in.)
tracing paper: 51 x 24 cm (20 1/16 x 9 7/16 in.)
- Inscriptions and Marks
- Signed: graphite, l.r.: JOANNUS SGDUX / XXXXIV
- inscription: verso of cardboard mount, graphite: 9 1/4 x 1 3/4
- label: removed from old backing, now in curatorial file, paper, printed and handwritten: [printed in black:] KULICKE FRAMES, INC. / SHOWROOM / 1007 MADISON AVENUE / OFFICE & FACTORY / 85 UNIVERSITY PLACE / NEW YORK CITY / METAL FRAME / PATENT PENDING / [handwritten in red pencil:] K-7998 / Jack Mayer
- John D. Graham's son, sold; to Lois Orswell, Pomfret Center, Connecticut, 1961?, gift; to Harvard University Art Museums, 1966.
NOTE: Provenance from a letter from Lois Orswell dated 4 March 1966 in the curatorial file.
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- Harvard Art Museums/Fogg Museum, Gift of David Smith in memory of his friend John Graham
- Accession Year
- Object Number
- Modern and Contemporary Art
- The Harvard Art Museums encourage the use of images found on this website for personal, noncommercial use, including educational and scholarly purposes. To request a higher resolution file of this image, please submit an online request.
- Tracing paper is taped to blue-paper-faced cardboard. Drawing continues onto cardboard. Old cellophane tape at upper and lower edges of cardboard. Mounting tape at left edge has been painted white?
- Publication History
Marjorie B. Cohn and Sarah Kianovsky, Lois Orswell, David Smith, and Modern Art, exh. cat., Harvard University Art Museums (Cambridge, MA, 2002), cat. no. 59, pp. 168, 317, 379
This record has been reviewed by the curatorial staff but may be incomplete. Our records are frequently revised and enhanced. For more information please contact the Division of Modern and Contemporary Art at firstname.lastname@example.org