- Identification and Creation
- Physical Descriptions
- Pastel on brown wove paper
- 27.4 x 18 cm (10 13/16 x 7 1/16 in.)
- Inscriptions and Marks
- Signed: black and blue pastel, c.r.: butterfly monogram
- inscription: verso, top left, red crayon: 35 [encircled]?
- Alexander Reid, by 1894; William Burrell, by 1895, until at least 1907; at auction, Christie's, London, March 1, 1929; purchased at that auction by Colnaghi; their sale to Kennedy, New York, May 4, 1929; their sale to Grenville L. Winthrop through Martin Birnbaum, November 8, 1943; his bequest to the Fogg Art Museum, 1943.
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- Harvard Art Museums/Fogg Museum, Bequest of Grenville L. Winthrop
- Accession Year
- Object Number
- European and American Art
- THIS WORK MAY NOT BE LENT BY THE TERMS OF ITS ACQUISITION TO THE HARVARD ART MUSEUMS.
- The Harvard Art Museums encourage the use of images found on this website for personal, noncommercial use, including educational and scholarly purposes. To request a higher resolution file of this image, please submit an online request.
- Publication History
A Collection of Paintings Representing the Glasgow School artists of Denmark, and some others, exh. cat., The Art Institute of Chicago (Chicago, IL, 1895), reproduced, no. 163
Elisabeth Luther Cary, The Works of James McNeill Whistler: A Study with a Tentative List of the Artist's Work, Moffat, Yard and Company (New York, 1907), p. 230, no. 519
Dorothy W. Gillerman, ed., Grenville L. Winthrop: Retrospective for a Collector, exh. cat., Fogg Art Museum (Cambridge, 1969), p. 624
Margaret F. MacDonald, James McNeill Whistler: Drawings, Pastels and Watercolours: A Catalogue Raisonné, Yale University Press (New Haven, CT and London, England, 1995), p. 466, reproduced no. 1288
Theodore E. Stebbins, Jr., Virginia Anderson, and Kimberly Orcutt, ed., American Paintings at Harvard, Volume Two, Paintings, Drawings, Pastels and Stained Glass by Artists Born 1826-1856, Harvard Art Museums and Yale University Press (U.S.) (Cambridge, MA and New Haven, CT, 2008), p. 429-430, cat. no. 457, reproduced in b&w, p. 429
- Exhibition History
64th Annual Exhibition, Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts, Philadelphia, 12/17/1894 - 02/23/1895
A Collection of Paintings representing the Glasgow School, Artists of Denmark and Some Others, The Art Institute of Chicago, Chicago, 11/19/1895 - 12/22/1895
This record has been reviewed by the curatorial staff but may be incomplete. Our records are frequently revised and enhanced. For more information please contact the Division of European and American Art at email@example.com