- Identification and Creation
- Physical Descriptions
- Charcoal on off-white laid paper
- 61 x 46 cm (24 x 18 1/8 in.)
- Inscriptions and Marks
- Signed: charcoal, l.l.: John S. Sargent 1924
- watermark: MICHALLET / FRANCE
- From the artist to Grenville L. Winthrop, 1924; his bequest to Fogg Art Museum, 1943.
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- Harvard Art Museums/Fogg Museum, Bequest of Grenville L. Winthrop
- Accession Year
- Object Number
- European and American Art
- THIS WORK MAY NOT BE LENT BY THE TERMS OF ITS ACQUISITION TO THE HARVARD ART MUSEUMS.
- The Harvard Art Museums encourage the use of images found on this website for personal, noncommercial use, including educational and scholarly purposes. To request a higher resolution file of this image, please submit an online request.
- Publication History
David McKibbin, Sargent's Boston, exh. cat., Museum of Fine Arts, Boston (Boston, MA, 1956), p. 131, Check List of Sargent's Portraits
Martin Birnbaum, The Last Romantic (New York, NY, 1960), p. 217
Trevor J. Fairbrother, John Singer Sargent and America, Garland Publishing, Inc. (New York, NY, 1986), pp. 343-45, fig. 101
Ed Kirby, Seldom Told Tales of Sharon, Sharon Historical Society (Sharon, Connecticut, 2008), p. 187, repr.
This record has been reviewed by the curatorial staff but may be incomplete. Our records are frequently revised and enhanced. For more information please contact the Division of European and American Art at email@example.com