- Identification and Creation
- Physical Descriptions
- Album with black cloth-covered cardboard covers
- 54.7 x 71.5 x 3.2 cm (21 9/16 x 28 1/8 x 1 1/4 in.)
page: 53.2 x 67.5 cm (20 15/16 x 26 9/16 in.)
- Inscriptions and Marks
- stamp: back pastedown, black ink, stamped: PARKINS & COTTO OXFORD ST W.
- To the artist's sisters, Violet (Mrs. Francis) Ormond and Emily Sargent, at his death, 1925; gift of Mrs. Ormond to the Fogg Art Museum, 1937.
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- Harvard Art Museums/Fogg Museum, Gift of Mrs. Francis Ormond
- Accession Year
- Object Number
- European and American Art
- The Harvard Art Museums encourage the use of images found on this website for personal, noncommercial use, including educational and scholarly purposes. To request a higher resolution file of this image, please submit an online request.
- Album with black-cloth-covered cardboard covers; leather-covered spine and corners. White silked paper (treated with clay to resemble silk) endpapers. Twenty-seven pages of off-white cardboard.
Contents: Commercial photographs printed by Spanish companies of the interior of the Alhambra, with details of tile work; ornamental designs based on and related to the designs at the Alhambra; designs for stencils, actual stencils cut from cardboard, and designs printed on textured paper from a stencil; sketches of fountains from South Kensington Gardens and Rouen as well as capitals, lintels, pedestals, and other architectural details from Italy and Granada. A section of the second page has been cut away, perhaps so that a drawing on tracing paper affixed to that page could be laid over a drawing mounted on the next.It is not clear who assembled this album, but it may have been arranged by the artist as a source book of decorative motifs and ornament used in working out aspects of the Boston Public Library project.
- Publication History
Miriam Stewart and Kerry Schauber, "Catalogue of Sketchbooks and Albums by John Singer Sargent at the Fogg Art Museum", Harvard University Art Museums Bulletin (Cambridge, MA, Fall 1999 - Winter 2000), vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 16-38, p. 36
Richard Ormond and Elaine Kilmurray, John Singer Sargent: Figures and Landscapes, 1874-1882, Yale University Press (New Haven and London, 2006), p. 228
- Exhibition History
Sargent in the Studio: Drawings, Sketchbooks, and Oil Sketches, Harvard University Art Museums, Cambridge, 06/10/1999 - 09/26/1999
- Related Works
This record has been reviewed by the curatorial staff but may be incomplete. Our records are frequently revised and enhanced. For more information please contact the Division of European and American Art at email@example.com