- Identification and Creation
- Physical Descriptions
- Sketchbook with black paper-covered cardboard covers and leather spine
- 10 x 15.8 x 1.2 cm (3 15/16 x 6 1/4 x 1/2 in.)
- Inscriptions and Marks
- label: front cover, black ink on paper, handwritten: 1871 not important
- inscription: front pastedown, graphite: Emily Sargent / from [grand mama?] / [Bolzena? Bologna? Budget?] / 1871
- inscription: back pastedown, graphite: List of Meissen porcelain marks: 1. A. R. / 2. [design of crossed swords] / 3. [illeg.] / 4. [design of crossed swords with dot] / 5. [design of crossed swords with star] Marcolini / present mark / [design of crossed swords, two times]
- To the artist's sisters, Violet (Mrs. Francis) Ormond and Emily Sargent, at his death, 1925; gift of Mrs. Ormond to the Fogg Art Museum, 1937.
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- Harvard Art Museums/Fogg Museum, Gift of Mrs. Francis Ormond
- Accession Year
- Object Number
- European and American Art
- The Harvard Art Museums encourage the use of images found on this website for personal, noncommercial use, including educational and scholarly purposes. To request a higher resolution file of this image, please submit an online request.
- Sketchbook with black-paper-covered cardboard covers, leather-covered spine; stamped in gilt on front cover: ALBUM. Pages of off-white, buff, and gray wove paper. Sewn page block. Sketchbook is incomplete, with twenty-three pages remaining. Twenty-four drawings.Several pages are missing from the sketchbook and the page numbering apparently occurred after their removal. 18 pages are missing before the first numbered page; one page is missing between pages one and two.
Contents: Figure and animal studies; views in Dresden; copies after paintings in the Gemäldegalerie, Dresden, by Veronese, Tintoretto, Canaletto, and Marinus Roymerswaele, among others.
- Publication History
Miriam Stewart and Kerry Schauber, "Catalogue of Sketchbooks and Albums by John Singer Sargent at the Fogg Art Museum", Harvard University Art Museums Bulletin (Cambridge, MA, Fall 1999 - Winter 2000), vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 16-38, p. 19-20
Bruce Robertson, ed., Sargent and Italy, exh. cat., Los Angeles County Museum of Art/Princeton University Press (Los Angeles, CA and Princeton, NJ, 2002), p. 103, n. 15
- Exhibition History
Sargent in the Studio: Drawings, Sketchbooks, and Oil Sketches, Harvard University Art Museums, Cambridge, 06/10/1999 - 09/26/1999
Under Cover: Artists' Sketchbooks, Harvard University Art Museums, Fogg Art Museum, Cambridge, 08/01/2006 - 10/22/2006
- Related Works
This record has been reviewed by the curatorial staff but may be incomplete. Our records are frequently revised and enhanced. For more information please contact the Division of European and American Art at firstname.lastname@example.org