- Identification and Creation
- Physical Descriptions
- Sketchbook with brown paper-covered cardboard covers
- 12.2 x 16.1 x 1 cm (4 13/16 x 6 5/16 x 3/8 in.)
- Inscriptions and Marks
- label: front cover of sketchbook, paper, black ink, handwritten: 1872 - Dresden
- inscription: back pastedown, graphite: 6 1/2
- label: back pastedown, brown paper, printed: Emil Geller / Kunsthandlung / Dresden / Waisenhausstr.
- inscription: front pastedown, graphite: [oriented upside down to the rest of the sketchbook:] Left at 8 1/4 / Top of hill 9 / [Engelsburg?].
- To the artist's sisters, Violet (Mrs. Francis) Ormond and Emily Sargent, at his death, 1925; gift of Mrs. Ormond to the Fogg Art Museum, 1937.
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- Harvard Art Museums/Fogg Museum, Gift of Mrs. Francis Ormond
- Accession Year
- Object Number
- European and American Art
- The Harvard Art Museums encourage the use of images found on this website for personal, noncommercial use, including educational and scholarly purposes. To request a higher resolution file of this image, please submit an online request.
- Sketchbook with brown-paper-covered cardboard covers, brown- cloth-covered spine and corners; [three] pencil sleeves. Pages of off-white, tan, and buff wove paper. Sewn page block. Sketchbook is incomplete, with twenty-seven pages remaining. Twenty-nine drawings.The pages are numbered in red-brown ink in the upper right corner. Several pages are missing, including the page before page 1 and four pp. after p. 12 (one of these shows brown ink at the edge; another shows gray wash). The page numbering apparently occurred after their removal. Several pages (those between 16 and 23 inclusive) are blank; these blank pages are numbered.
Contents: Village scenes, figure studies, animals, some in Dresden, Carlsbad, and Engelsburg. Sailboat, windmill at Sanssouci, Potsdam, watercolor landscape, chairs.
- Publication History
Edward J. Nygren, John Singer Sargent: Drawings from the Corcoran Gallery of Art, Smithsonian Institution Traveling Exhibition Service (Washington, D.C, 1983), under nos. 9, 14
Miriam Stewart and Kerry Schauber, "Catalogue of Sketchbooks and Albums by John Singer Sargent at the Fogg Art Museum", Harvard University Art Museums Bulletin (Cambridge, MA, Fall 1999 - Winter 2000), vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 16-38, p. 21
- Exhibition History
Sargent in the Studio: Drawings, Sketchbooks, and Oil Sketches, Harvard University Art Museums, Cambridge, 06/10/1999 - 09/26/1999
Sargent and the Sea, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 09/12/2009 - 01/03/2010; The Museum of Fine Arts, Houston, Houston, 02/14/2010 - 05/23/2010; Royal Academy of Arts, London, 07/10/2010 - 09/26/2010
- Related Works
This record has been reviewed by the curatorial staff but may be incomplete. Our records are frequently revised and enhanced. For more information please contact the Division of European and American Art at firstname.lastname@example.org