- Identification and Creation
- Object Number
John Singer Sargent, American (Florence, Italy 1856 - 1925 London, England)
- The Matterhorn
- Other Titles
- Alternate Title: From Sketchbook "Splendid Mountain Watercolours"
- Work Type
- Persistent Link
- Physical Descriptions
- Watercolor and graphite on off-white wove paper
- 38.8 x 27 cm (15 1/4 x 10 5/8 in.)
- Inscriptions and Marks
- inscription: l.r., graphite: Matterhorn / L. Corner Glacier / Zermatt
- To the artist's sisters, Violet (Mrs. Francis) Ormond and Emily Sargent, at his death, 1925; gift of Mrs. Ormond to the Fogg Art Museum, 1937.
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- Harvard Art Museums/Fogg Museum, Gift of Mrs. Francis Ormond
- Accession Year
- Object Number
- European and American Art
- The Harvard Art Museums encourage the use of images found on this website for personal, noncommercial use, including educational and scholarly purposes. To request a higher resolution file of this image, please submit an online request.
- Publication History
Exhibition of Works by the Late John S. Sargent, R. A., exh. cat., Royal Academy of Arts (London, England, 1926), no. 183
John Singer Sargent, His Own Work, exh. cat., Coe Kerr Gallery, Inc. (New York, NY, 1980), in checklist, unpaginated
Stephen D. Rubin, John Singer Sargent's Alpine Sketchbooks: A Young Artist's Perspective, The Metropolitan Museum of Art (New York, NY, 1991), p. 8
Marjorie Shelley, "'Splendid Mountain,' a Sketchbook by the Young John Singer Sargent", Metropolitan Museum Journal (New York, NY, 1993), vol. 28, pp. 185-205, p. 192
Stephanie Herdrich and Helen Barbara Weinberg, American Drawings and Watercolors in the Metropolitan Museum of Art: John Singer Sargent, The Metropolitan Museum of Art (New York, NY, 2000), p. 66, under no. 17; p. 94, under no. 17kk
Theodore E. Stebbins, Jr., Virginia Anderson, and Kimberly Orcutt, ed., American Paintings at Harvard, Volume Two, Paintings, Drawings, Pastels and Stained Glass by Artists Born 1826-1856, Harvard Art Museums and Yale University Press (U.S.) (Cambridge, MA and New Haven, CT, 2008), p. 295-96, cat. 312, ill.
Bob Raczka, Before They Were Famous: How Seven Artists Got Their Start, Millbrook Press (Minneapolis, MN, 2011), p. 17, repr.
Gabrielle Townsend, John Singer Sargent: Aquarelles, Bibliothèque de l'Image (Paris, France, 2011), repr. p. 83
Richard Ormond and Elaine Kilmurray, John Singer Sargent: Figures and Landscapes, 1900-1907, Yale University Press (U.S.) (New Haven and London, 2012), p. 90
- Exhibition History
Exhibition of Works by the Late John S. Sargent, R.A., Royal Academy of Arts, London, 01/14/1926 - 03/13/1926
Unidentified Exhibition, Berkshire Museum, 1944, Berkshire Museum, Pittsfield, 02/01/1944 - 02/28/1944
Young America: Artists Under Forty, Brandeis University, Waltham, 06/06/1954 - 06/20/1954
American Paintings from the Fogg Art Museum, Harvard University, Symphony Hall, Boston, 02/21/1958 - 03/15/1958
Landscape into Art, Atlanta Art Association, Atlanta, 02/06/1962 - 02/25/1962
John Singer Sargent's Alpine Sketchbooks, The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, 01/09/1993 - 03/07/1993
This record has been reviewed by the curatorial staff but may be incomplete. Our records are frequently revised and enhanced. For more information please contact the Division of European and American Art at email@example.com