- Identification and Creation
- Physical Descriptions
- Watercolor and gouache on cream wove paper
- 18 x 21.8 cm (7 1/16 x 8 9/16 in.)
- Inscriptions and Marks
- Signed: black ink, l.l.c: Geo L. Brown; and at l.r.c. in brown watercolor: Jan 1841 ROME
- inscription: affixed to mat, paper, English: in John Witt Randall's hand on mat: "I have seen no finer drawing by this native artist . JWR. G L Brown del. Rome 1841/View in Sicily S. of Palermo"
- inscription: verso: View S. of Palermo Sicily
- inscription: l.r., front of mat, graphite: 46
- John Witt Randall, Boston, MA; bequest to his sister Belinda L. Randall, 1892; gift to Harvard University, 1892.
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- Harvard Art Museums/Fogg Museum, Gift of Belinda L. Randall from the collection of John Witt Randall
- Accession Year
- Object Number
- European and American Art
- The Harvard Art Museums encourage the use of images found on this website for personal, noncommercial use, including educational and scholarly purposes. To request a higher resolution file of this image, please submit an online request.
- Publication History
Regina Soria, Dictionary of Nineteenth-Century American Artists in Italy 1760-1914, Fairleigh Dickinson University Press (Rutherford, NJ, 1982), p. 74
Christopher Finch, American Watercolors, Abbeville Press (New York, NY, 1986), p. 87, ill.
Theodore E. Stebbins, Jr. and Melissa Renn, American Paintings at Harvard, Volume One: Paintings, Watercolors, and Pastels by Artists Born before 1826, Yale University Press (U.S.) and Harvard Art Museums (Cambridge and New Haven, 2014), p. 104, cat. 57, ill.
This record has been reviewed by the curatorial staff but may be incomplete. Our records are frequently revised and enhanced. For more information please contact the Division of European and American Art at email@example.com