- Identification and Creation
- Object Number
Rembrandt Peale, American (Bucks County, PA 1778 - 1860 Philadelphia, PA)
John Warren (1753 - 1815)
- John Warren (1753-1815)
- Work Type
- c. 1805-1815
- Creation Place: North America, United States
- Persistent Link
- Physical Descriptions
- Oil on canvas
- 73.7 x 62.2 cm (29 x 24 1/2 in.)
framed: 98.4 x 88.3 x 11.1 cm (38 3/4 x 34 3/4 x 4 3/8 in.)
- Dr. John Warren, the sitter; to his son, Dr. John Collins Warren, 1815; to his son, Jonathan Mason Warren, 1856; to his son, Dr. John Collins Warren, 1867; to his son, Dr. John Warren, 1927; to his nephew Dr. Richard Warren, 1928; his gift to the Harvard Medical School, 1982.
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- Harvard University Portrait Collection, Gift of Dr. Richard Warren to the Harvard Medical School, 1982
- Object Number
- European and American Art
- The Harvard Art Museums encourage the use of images found on this website for personal, noncommercial use, including educational and scholarly purposes. To request a higher resolution file of this image, please submit an online request.
- Publication History
Samuel Francis Batchelder, Bits of Harvard History, Harvard University Press (Cambridge, MA, 1924), ill. p. 158
Historical Records Survey, Division of Professional and Service Projects, Works Progress Administration, American Portraits, 1620-1825, found in Massachusetts, Volumes 1 and 2, Historical Records Survey (Boston, MA, 1939), p. 441, cat. 2275
Louise Todd Ambler, Early Science at Harvard: Innovators and Their Instruments, 1765 - 1865, exh. cat., Fogg Art Museum (Cambridge, MA, December 1969-January 1970), pp. 42-43, 79, cat. 45, ill.
Francis Daniels Moore, A Miracle and a Privilege: Recounting a Half Century of Surgical Advance, National Academy Press / Joseph Henry Press (Washington, D.C., 1995), pl. 6
Theodore E. Stebbins, Jr. and Melissa Renn, American Paintings at Harvard, Volume One: Paintings, Watercolors, and Pastels by Artists Born before 1826, Yale University Press (U.S.) and Harvard Art Museums (Cambridge and New Haven, 2014), p. 391, cat. 354, ill.
- Exhibition History
Early Science at Harvard, Fogg Art Museum, Cambridge, 12/18/1969 - 02/01/1970
A Broad Foundation: Milestones of Medical Education at Harvard, 1783-2003, Francis A. Countway Library of Medicine, Harvard Medical School, Boston, 10/01/2003 - 06/30/2004
This record has been reviewed by the curatorial staff but may be incomplete. Our records are frequently revised and enhanced. For more information please contact the Division of European and American Art at email@example.com