- Identification and Creation
- Object Number
James Carroll Beckwith, American (Hannibal, MO 1852 - 1917 New York, NY)
George Martin Lane (Charlestown, Massachusetts 1823 - 1897 Cambridge, Massachusetts)
- George Martin Lane (1823-1897)
- Work Type
- Persistent Link
- Physical Descriptions
- Oil on canvas
- 56.5 x 45.7 cm (22 1/4 x 18 in.)
framed: 83.8 x 72.7 x 12.7 cm (33 x 28 5/8 x 5 in.)
- Inscriptions and Marks
- Signed: u.r.: Carroll Beckwith / '89
- inscription: upper left of canvas, in artist's hand: Prof Lane
- Presumably George Martin Lane, 1889; by descent to his granddaughter Katherine Lane Weems; her bequest to Harvard University, 1989.
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- Harvard University Portrait Collection, Bequest of Katharine Lane Weems, 1989
- Object Number
- European and American Art
- The Harvard Art Museums encourage the use of images found on this website for personal, noncommercial use, including educational and scholarly purposes. To request a higher resolution file of this image, please submit an online request.
- Publication History
Theodore E. Stebbins, Jr., Virginia Anderson, and Kimberly Orcutt, ed., American Paintings at Harvard, Volume Two, Paintings, Drawings, Pastels and Stained Glass by Artists Born 1826-1856, Harvard Art Museums and Yale University Press (U.S.) (Cambridge, MA and New Haven, CT, 2008), p. 42, cat. 19, ill.
This record has been reviewed by the curatorial staff but may be incomplete. Our records are frequently revised and enhanced. For more information please contact the Division of European and American Art at firstname.lastname@example.org