- Identification and Creation
- Object Number
Ezra Ames, American (Framingham, MA 1768 - 1836 Albany, NY)
William James (1771 - 1832)
- William James (1771-1832)
- Work Type
- Creation Place: North America, United States
- Persistent Link
- Physical Descriptions
- Oil on wood panel
- 91 x 70 cm (35 13/16 x 27 9/16 in.)
framed: 113 x 93.4 x 8.9 cm (44 1/2 x 36 3/4 x 3 1/2 in.)
- Inscriptions and Marks
- (not assigned): on letter held in James's hand: Wm. James Esq./Albany/...ber 1822
- Collection of William James (1842-1910); probably by descent to John S.R. James, Jr.; bequeathed to his wife Jessie Holladay James; her gift to Harvard University, 1983.
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- Harvard University Portrait Collection, Gift of Mrs. John S. R. James, Jr. to the University, 1983
- Object Number
- European and American Art
- The Harvard Art Museums encourage the use of images found on this website for personal, noncommercial use, including educational and scholarly purposes. To request a higher resolution file of this image, please submit an online request.
- The James family included several generations of men named William and Henry. This William James is usually referred to as William James of Albany.
- Publication History
R.W.B. Lewis, The Jameses: A Family Narrative, Farrar, Straus & Giroux (New York, NY, 1991), p. 644, ill. opp. p. 74
Theodore E. Stebbins, Jr. and Melissa Renn, American Paintings at Harvard, Volume One: Paintings, Watercolors, and Pastels by Artists Born before 1826, Yale University Press (U.S.) and Harvard Art Museums (Cambridge and New Haven, 2014), pp. 70-71, cat. 24, ill.
This record has been reviewed by the curatorial staff but may be incomplete. Our records are frequently revised and enhanced. For more information please contact the Division of European and American Art at firstname.lastname@example.org