- Identification and Creation
- Object Number
Ignaz Marcel Gaugengigl, American (Passau, Bavaria 1855 - 1932 Boston, MA)
John Lowell (1856 - 1922)
- John Lowell (1856-1922)
- Work Type
- Creation Place: North America, United States
- Persistent Link
- Physical Descriptions
- Oil on prepared panel
- 43.2 x 29.9 cm (17 x 11 3/4 in.)
framed: 75.6 x 63.5 x 4.8 cm (29 3/4 x 25 x 1 7/8 in.)
- Inscriptions and Marks
- Signed: u.l.: I.M. Gaugengigl. 1896
- label: reverse: (handwritten): Mr. John Lowell/24 Commonwealth Ave.
- label: reverse: (handwritten): John Lowell Jr./Painted by/ I.M. Gaugengigl 1896
- label: reverse: (handwritten): No. 6 John Lowell / (Lawyer)
- Mrs. John Lowell (1929); her son, Ralph Lowell; gift of his estate to Harvard University, 1978.
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- Harvard University Portrait Collection, Gift of the Estate of Ralph Lowell, 1978
- Object Number
- European and American Art
- The Harvard Art Museums encourage the use of images found on this website for personal, noncommercial use, including educational and scholarly purposes. To request a higher resolution file of this image, please submit an online request.
- Publication History
Theodore E. Stebbins, Jr., Virginia Anderson, and Kimberly Orcutt, ed., American Paintings at Harvard, Volume Two, Paintings, Drawings, Pastels and Stained Glass by Artists Born 1826-1856, Harvard Art Museums and Yale University Press (U.S.) (Cambridge, MA and New Haven, CT, 2008), p. 110, cat. 75, ill.
Diana L. Eck, Hanging Around Lowell House: The Portraits of Lowell House, brochure (Cambridge, MA, 2012), p. 4, ill.
Theodore E. Stebbins, Jr. and Melissa Renn, American Paintings at Harvard, Volume One: Paintings, Watercolors, and Pastels by Artists Born before 1826, Yale University Press (U.S.) and Harvard Art Museums (Cambridge and New Haven, 2014), p. 461
This record has been reviewed by the curatorial staff but may be incomplete. Our records are frequently revised and enhanced. For more information please contact the Division of European and American Art at email@example.com