- Identification and Creation
- Object Number
Thomas Buchanan Read, American (Chester County, PA 1822 - 1872 New York, NY)
Dr. Oliver Wendell Holmes (1809 - 1894)
- Oliver Wendell Holmes (1809-1894)
- Work Type
- Creation Place: North America, United States, Massachusetts, Boston
- Persistent Link
- Physical Descriptions
- Oil on canvas
- 82.2 x 68.9 cm (32 3/8 x 27 1/8 in.)
framed: 96.5 x 83.5 x 4.8 cm (38 x 32 7/8 x 1 7/8 in.)
- Inscriptions and Marks
- inscription: on verso: June 27, 1859
- Purchased by Eugene Bernat, Boston.
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- Harvard University Portrait Collection, Gift of Mr. Eugene Bernat to Harvard University, 1966
- Object Number
- European and American Art
- The Harvard Art Museums encourage the use of images found on this website for personal, noncommercial use, including educational and scholarly purposes. To request a higher resolution file of this image, please submit an online request.
- Publication History
Louise Todd Ambler, Early Science at Harvard: Innovators and Their Instruments, 1765 - 1865, exh. cat., Fogg Art Museum (Cambridge, MA, December 1969-January 1970), pp. 68-69, cat. 73, ill.
Theodore E. Stebbins, Jr. and Melissa Renn, American Paintings at Harvard, Volume One: Paintings, Watercolors, and Pastels by Artists Born before 1826, Yale University Press (U.S.) and Harvard Art Museums (Cambridge and New Haven, 2014), pp. 411-412, cat. 371, ill.
- Exhibition History
Early Science at Harvard, Fogg Art Museum, Cambridge, 12/18/1969 - 02/01/1970
Introduction to Harvard University, Isetan Department Store, Tokyo, 04/01/1974 - 04/30/1974
This record has been reviewed by the curatorial staff but may be incomplete. Our records are frequently revised and enhanced. For more information please contact the Division of European and American Art at firstname.lastname@example.org