- Identification and Creation
- Physical Descriptions
- Oil on canvas
- 91.4 x 73.3 cm (36 x 28 7/8 in.)
- Inscriptions and Marks
- inscription: on rolled-up manuscript: Winthrops Journal/at New England/1635 Feb. 16.../The Blessing/of Bay sailed to/Took in freight...
- Gift of Adam Winthrop, 1840.
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- Harvard University Portrait Collection, Gift of Adam Winthrop, 1840
- Object Number
- European and American Art
- The Harvard Art Museums encourage the use of images found on this website for personal, noncommercial use, including educational and scholarly purposes. To request a higher resolution file of this image, please submit an online request.
- Publication History
William Howe Downes, "Boston Painters and Paintings, Part I: The Pre-Copleyites, Copley, Trumbull", The Atlantic Monthly (Boston, MA, July 1888), vol. 62 no. 369, pp. 89-98., p. 90
William Garrott Brown, A List of Portraits in the Various Buildings of Harvard University, Harvard University Library (Cambridge, MA, 1898), p. 44
Charles Knowles Bolton, The Founders: portraits of persons born abroad who came to the colonies in North America before the year 1701, Boston Athenaeum (Boston, MA, 1919 - 1926), p. 654
Louisa Dresser, XVIIth Century Painting in New England, exh. cat., Worcester Art Museum (Worcester, MA, 1935), p. 158
Laura M. Huntsinger, Harvard Portraits: A Catalogue of Portrait Paintings at Harvard University, ed. Alan Burroughs, Harvard University Press (Cambridge, MA, 1936), pp. 149-150
Historical Records Survey, Division of Professional and Service Projects, Works Progress Administration, American Portraits, 1620-1825, found in Massachusetts, Volumes 1 and 2, Historical Records Survey (Boston, MA, 1939), p. 476, cat. 2521
James Levitt, "Financial Innovation for Conservation: An American Tradition", From Walden to Wall Street: Frontiers of Conservation Finance, ed. James Levitt, Island Press (Washington, DC, 2005), pp. 1-21, p. 5, fig. 1.1
Theodore E. Stebbins, Jr. and Melissa Renn, American Paintings at Harvard, Volume One: Paintings, Watercolors, and Pastels by Artists Born before 1826, Yale University Press (U.S.) and Harvard Art Museums (Cambridge and New Haven, 2014), pp. 369, 505-06, cat. 469, ill.
Scott C. Steward and Chip Rowe, The Descendants of Robert Winthrop of New York, Newbury Street Press (Boston, 2017), repr. as pl. I, n.p.
- Exhibition History
XVIIth Century Painting in New England, Worcester Art Museum, Worcester, 07/01/1934 - 08/31/1934
This record has been reviewed by the curatorial staff but may be incomplete. Our records are frequently revised and enhanced. For more information please contact the Division of European and American Art at email@example.com