- Identification and Creation
- Physical Descriptions
- Oil on canvas
- 81.3 x 64.8 cm (32 x 25 1/2 in.)
framed: 108 x 91.4 x 15.2 cm (42 1/2 x 36 x 6 in.)
- Gift by subscription to Harvard College, 1843.
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- Harvard University Portrait Collection, Gift by subscription to Harvard College, 1843
- Object Number
- European and American Art
- The Harvard Art Museums encourage the use of images found on this website for personal, noncommercial use, including educational and scholarly purposes. To request a higher resolution file of this image, please submit an online request.
- Publication History
James Grahame, The History of the United States of North America, vol. 1, 2nd edition, C. C. Little & J. Brown (Boston, 1845), frontispiece, ill.
Justin Winsor, "The Struggle for the Great Valleys of North America", Narrative and Critical History of America, ed. Justin Winsor, Houghton Mifflin Company (Boston, MA, 1887), pp. 620-21
William Garrott Brown, A List of Portraits in the Various Buildings of Harvard University, Harvard University Library (Cambridge, MA, 1898), p. 20
Laura M. Huntsinger, Harvard Portraits: A Catalogue of Portrait Paintings at Harvard University, ed. Alan Burroughs, Harvard University Press (Cambridge, MA, 1936), p. 64
Catherine M. Parisan, "Catalogue of the First White House Library", The First White House Library: A History and Annotated Catalogue, ed. Catherine M. Parisan, Pennsylvania State University Press (University Park, PA, 2010)
Theodore E. Stebbins, Jr. and Melissa Renn, American Paintings at Harvard, Volume One: Paintings, Watercolors, and Pastels by Artists Born before 1826, Yale University Press (U.S.) and Harvard Art Museums (Cambridge and New Haven, 2014), p. 255, cat. 204, ill.
- Related Works
This record has been reviewed by the curatorial staff but may be incomplete. Our records are frequently revised and enhanced. For more information please contact the Division of European and American Art at firstname.lastname@example.org