- Identification and Creation
- Object Number
Daniel Huntington, American (New York, NY 1816 - 1906 New York, NY)
Albert Gallatin (1761-1849)
- Abraham Alfonse Albert Gallatin (1761-1849)
- Work Type
- Creation Place: North America, United States
- Persistent Link
- Physical Descriptions
- Oil on canvas
- 125.7 x 100.3 cm (49 1/2 x 39 1/2 in.)
framed: 152.4 x 126.4 x 15.2 cm (60 x 49 3/4 x 6 in.)
- Inscriptions and Marks
- Signed: on paper on table: D Huntington
- label: on frame, plaque, English: Abraham Alfonse Albert Gallatin 1761-1849/ Secretary of Treasure 1801-1814/by/Daniel Huntington/Presented by Albert, Horace and Goelet Gallatin.
- Purchased by sitter's grandson, Frederic Gallatin, 1897-98; descended in family to grandsons Albert, Horace, and Goelet Gallatin; their gift to Harvard Graduate School of Business Administration, 1928.
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- Harvard University Portrait Collection, Gift of Albert, Horace, and Goelet Gallatin, great-grandsons of Albert Gallatin, for the Harvard Graduate School of Business Administration, 1928
- Object Number
- European and American Art
- The Harvard Art Museums encourage the use of images found on this website for personal, noncommercial use, including educational and scholarly purposes. To request a higher resolution file of this image, please submit an online request.
- Publication History
Laura M. Huntsinger, Harvard Portraits: A Catalogue of Portrait Paintings at Harvard University, ed. Alan Burroughs, Harvard University Press (Cambridge, MA, 1936), p. 60
Theodore E. Stebbins, Jr. and Melissa Renn, American Paintings at Harvard, Volume One: Paintings, Watercolors, and Pastels by Artists Born before 1826, Yale University Press (U.S.) and Harvard Art Museums (Cambridge and New Haven, 2014), p. 285, cat. 232, ill.
This record has been reviewed by the curatorial staff but may be incomplete. Our records are frequently revised and enhanced. For more information please contact the Division of European and American Art at email@example.com