- Identification and Creation
- Physical Descriptions
- Oil on canvas
- 137.8 x 106 cm (54 1/4 x 41 3/4 in.)
- Inscriptions and Marks
- Signed: l.r.: Onthank 1868
- Bequeathed from the artist to his son, Arthur Onthank; his gift to Harvard University, 1927.
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- Harvard University Portrait Collection, Gift of Arthur Onthank, son of Nahum B. Onthank, to Harvard University, 1927
- Object Number
- European and American Art
- The Harvard Art Museums encourage the use of images found on this website for personal, noncommercial use, including educational and scholarly purposes. To request a higher resolution file of this image, please submit an online request.
- Publication History
Laura M. Huntsinger, Harvard Portraits: A Catalogue of Portrait Paintings at Harvard University, ed. Alan Burroughs, Harvard University Press (Cambridge, MA, 1936), pp. 131-132
Arthur Onthank, The Onthank Family: Its History and Genealogy, Martinsville Reporter Press (Martinsville, IN, 1959), p. 71
Theodore E. Stebbins, Jr. and Melissa Renn, American Paintings at Harvard, Volume One: Paintings, Watercolors, and Pastels by Artists Born before 1826, Yale University Press (U.S.) and Harvard Art Museums (Cambridge and New Haven, 2014), pp. 349, 366, cat. 331, ill.
This record has been reviewed by the curatorial staff but may be incomplete. Our records are frequently revised and enhanced. For more information please contact the Division of European and American Art at email@example.com