- Identification and Creation
- Physical Descriptions
- Oil on canvas
- 76.2 x 63.1 cm (30 x 24 13/16 in.)
framed: 101.3 x 88.6 x 8.3 cm (39 7/8 x 34 7/8 x 3 1/4 in.)
- Christopher Gore (1758-1827); to his wife, Rebecca Amory Payne (1759-1834); upon her death in 1834 to her nephew, William E. Payne Esq. (1804-1838); his gift to Harvard University, 1834.
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- Harvard University Portrait Collection, Gift of Dr. William E. Payne, 1834
- Object Number
- European and American Art
- The Harvard Art Museums encourage the use of images found on this website for personal, noncommercial use, including educational and scholarly purposes. To request a higher resolution file of this image, please submit an online request.
- Publication History
William Garrott Brown, A List of Portraits in the Various Buildings of Harvard University, Harvard University Library (Cambridge, MA, 1898), p. 20
Laura M. Huntsinger, Harvard Portraits: A Catalogue of Portrait Paintings at Harvard University, ed. Alan Burroughs, Harvard University Press (Cambridge, MA, 1936), p. 63
Historical Records Survey, Division of Professional and Service Projects, Works Progress Administration, American Portraits, 1620-1825, found in Massachusetts, Volumes 1 and 2, Historical Records Survey (Boston, MA, 1939), p. 171, cat. 893
Mary Bartlett Cowdrey, American Academy of Fine Arts and American Art-Union: Exhibition Record, 1816-1852, New York Historical Society (New York, NY, 1953), p. 355
Irma B. Jaffe, John Trumbull: Patriot-Artist of the American Revolution, New York Graphic Society (Boston, 1975), p. 309
Peter A. Wick, "Gore Place", The Magazine Antiques (New York, NY, 1976)
Andrew Oliver, Ann Millspaugh Huff, and Edward W. Hanson, Portraits in the Massachusetts Historical Society: An Illustrated Catalogue with Descriptive Matter, Massachusetts Historical Society (Boston, MA, 1988), pp. 43-44
Theodore E. Stebbins, Jr. and Melissa Renn, American Paintings at Harvard, Volume One: Paintings, Watercolors, and Pastels by Artists Born before 1826, Yale University Press (U.S.) and Harvard Art Museums (Cambridge and New Haven, 2014), pp. 481-82, cat. 445, ill.
- Exhibition History
1816 Exhibition, American Academy of Fine Arts, 01/01/1816 - 12/31/1816
This record has been reviewed by the curatorial staff but may be incomplete. Our records are frequently revised and enhanced. For more information please contact the Division of European and American Art at email@example.com