- Identification and Creation
- Object Number
Gilbert Stuart, American (North Kingstown, RI 1755 - 1828 Boston, MA)
Edward Everett (1794 - 1865)
- Edward Everett (1794-1865)
- Work Type
- c. 1820
- Creation Place: North America, United States, Massachusetts, Boston
- Persistent Link
- Physical Descriptions
- Oil on wood panel
- 68.6 x 54.6 cm (27 x 21 1/2 in.)
- Edmund Dwight; to his son, Edmund Dwight, 1849; purchased by Edward Everett, 1858; to his daughter, Charlotte Brooks Everett (Mrs. Henry Augustus Wise); to her daughter, Katherine Wise (Mrs. Jacob W. Miller); to her son, Henry W. Miller; his gift to the President and Fellows, Harvard College, 1946.
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- Harvard University Portrait Collection, Gift of Henry W. Miller, Class of 1897, 1947
- Object Number
- European and American Art
- The Harvard Art Museums encourage the use of images found on this website for personal, noncommercial use, including educational and scholarly purposes. To request a higher resolution file of this image, please submit an online request.
- Edward Everett was a Unitarian clergyman, statesman, and a famous American orator. He was not only a graduate of Harvard, but also served as president of the University from 1846 to 1849.
- Publication History
Lawrence Park, Gilbert Stuart: An lllustrated Descriptive List of His Works, vol. I - IV, W. E. Rudge (New York, NY, 1926), vol. I, p. 315-316, no. 285; vol. III, ill. p. 172
Andrew Oliver, Ann Millspaugh Huff, and Edward W. Hanson, Portraits in the Massachusetts Historical Society: An Illustrated Catalogue with Descriptive Matter, Massachusetts Historical Society (Boston, MA, 1988), p. 39
Dorinda Evans, Gilbert Stuart and the Impact of Manic Depression, Ashgate Publishing (Surrey, England, 2013), pp. x, 70, fig. 39
Theodore E. Stebbins, Jr. and Melissa Renn, American Paintings at Harvard, Volume One: Paintings, Watercolors, and Pastels by Artists Born before 1826, Yale University Press (U.S.) and Harvard Art Museums (Cambridge and New Haven, 2014), pp. 458-59, cat. 424, ill.
Robert Mussey Jr. and Clark Pearce, Rather Elegant than Showy: The Classical Furniture of Isaac Vose, Massachusetts Historical Society and David R. Godine (Boston, 2018), p. 141, fig. 155
This record has been reviewed by the curatorial staff but may be incomplete. Our records are frequently revised and enhanced. For more information please contact the Division of European and American Art at firstname.lastname@example.org