- Identification and Creation
- Physical Descriptions
- Papier collé: charcoal, graphite, gray wash, laid paper and newsprint on white laid paper
- 57.3 x 47.9 cm (22 9/16 x 18 7/8 in.)
- Inscriptions and Marks
- inscription: verso, upper left, graphite, in artist's hand: Picasso
- stamp: verso, upper left: DOUANES EXPOSITION PARIS
- inscription: bottom, graphite: 65
- [Galerie Kahnweiler, Paris]. Tristan Tzara, Paris. [Knoedler Gallery, New York, New York], by 1964. Frederick B. Deknatel, Cambridge, Massachusetts; to Virginia Deknatel, Cambridge, Massachusetts, gift; to Fogg Art Museum, 1979.
NOTE: Provenance from "Master Drawings by Picasso;" Gary Tinterow, Cambridge, Massachusetts, 1981.
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- Harvard Art Museums/Fogg Museum, Gift of Virginia Deknatel in memory of Frederick B. Deknatel
- © Estate of Pablo Picasso / Artists Rights Society (ARS), New York
- Accession Year
- Object Number
- Modern and Contemporary Art
- The Harvard Art Museums encourage the use of images found on this website for personal, noncommercial use, including educational and scholarly purposes. To request a higher resolution file of this image, please submit an online request.
- Publication History
Christian Zervos, Pablo Picasso, Editions Cahiers d'art (Paris, 1932-1978), vol. 2, no. 400, pl. 190
Gary Tinterow, Master Drawings by Picasso, exh. cat., Fogg Art Museum (Cambridge, Mass., 1981), cat.no. 40, repr.
Kristin A. Mortimer and William G. Klingelhofer, Harvard University Art Museums: A Guide to the Collections, Harvard University Art Museums and Abbeville Press (Cambridge and New York, 1986), no. 299, p. 256, repr.
Christine Poggi, "Mallarmé, Picasso, and the Newspaper as Commodity", Collage: Critical Views, ed. Katherine Hoffman (Ann Arbor, 1989), repr. p.180
Christine Poggi, In Defiance of Painting: Cubism, Futurism, and the Invention of Collage, Yale University Press (U.S.) (New Haven, 1992), repr. p. 149
Harvard University Art Museums, Masterpieces of world art : Fogg Art Museum, Arthur M. Sackler Museum, Busch-Reisinger Museum, 1997
Jennifer Roberts and Jennifer Quick, Jasper Johns / In Press: The Crosshatch Works and the Logic of Print, exh. cat., Harvard Art Museums (Cambridge, MA, 2012), p. 75, fig. 13
- Exhibition History
Master Drawings by Picasso, Fogg Art Museum, Cambridge, 02/20/1981 - 04/05/1981; The Art Institute of Chicago, Chicago, 04/29/1981 - 06/14/1981; Philadelphia Museum of Art, Philadelphia, 07/11/1981 - 08/23/1981
Cubism: Explorations and Adaptations, Fogg Art Museum, Cambridge, 09/18/1982 - 10/26/1982
Modern Art for Harvard: Prints and Drawings Acquired through the Generosity of Frederick B. and Virginia H. Deknatel, Harvard University Art Museums, Cambridge, 05/31/1995 - 08/06/1995
HAA 1 Survey Course: Survey of World Art: Modern Art, Harvard University Art Museums, Fogg Art Museum, Cambridge, 04/23/2005 - 07/31/2005
HAA 10 Survey Course (S421): The Western Tradition: Art Since the Renaissance (Fall 08 Rotation 3), Harvard Art Museums/Arthur M. Sackler Museum, Cambridge, 11/20/2008 - 02/08/2009
HAA 10 Survey Course (S421): The Western Tradition: Art Since the Renaissance (Fall 09 Rotation 3), Harvard Art Museums/Arthur M. Sackler Museum, Cambridge, 11/13/2009 - 01/17/2010
32Q: 3620 University Study Gallery, Harvard Art Museums, Cambridge, 10/27/2016 - 11/01/2016
This record has been reviewed by the curatorial staff but may be incomplete. Our records are frequently revised and enhanced. For more information please contact the Division of Modern and Contemporary Art at firstname.lastname@example.org