- Identification and Creation
- Object Number
Attributed to Domenico Morone, Italian (Verona, Italy c.1442 - c. 1518 Verona, Italy)
Previously attributed to Francesco Bonsignori, Italian (Verona, Italy 1460 - 1519 Caldiero, Italy)
- Saint Christopher; verso: Madonna and Child
- Other Titles
- Alternate Title: Old title: St. Christopher Standing
- Work Type
- 15th-16th century
- Creation Place: Europe, Italy, Veneto, Verona
- Persistent Link
- Physical Descriptions
- Brown ink and white and pink gouache over black chalk on cream antique laid paper prepared with orange wash
- 34.9 × 15.1 cm (13 3/4 × 5 15/16 in.)
- Inscriptions and Marks
- watermark: Crown
- Dr. Benno Geiger [sale, Sotheby's, London, December 7-10, 1920, lot 354, repr. (as Venetian School)]. Charles A. Loeser, Florence, bequest; to Fogg Art Museum, 1932
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- Harvard Art Museums/Fogg Museum, Bequest of Charles A. Loeser
- Accession Year
- Object Number
- European and American Art
- The Harvard Art Museums encourage the use of images found on this website for personal, noncommercial use, including educational and scholarly purposes. To request a higher resolution file of this image, please submit an online request.
- Publication History
Catalogue of an Important and Extensive Collection of Old Master Drawings, the property of a gentleman living in Italy, auct. cat., Sotheby's, London (London, December 7-10, 1920), lot 354, repr.
Leo Planiczig and H. Voss, Drawings and Old Masters from the Geiger Collection (Vienna, Austria, 1920), no. 6
Leo Planiczig and Hermann Voss, Handzeichnungen alter Meister aus der Sammlung dr. Benno Geiger, Amalthea-Verlag (Vienna, 1920), cat. no. 6, pl. 6, repr.
Agnes Mongan and Paul J. Sachs, Drawings in the Fogg Museum of Art, Harvard University Press (Cambridge, 1940), vol. 1, cat. no. 18, p. 15, as Italian, 15th Century
Konrad Oberhuber, ed., Old Master Drawings: Selections from the Charles A. Loeser Bequest, Fogg Art Museum (Cambridge, MA, 1979), cat. no. 6, pp. 24-25, recto repr., as Francesco Bonsignori (?)
Beverly Louise Brown, Prints and Drawings of the Quattrocento, exh. cat., Fogg Art Museum (Cambridge, MA, 1981), cat. no. 6, p. 17, as Bonsignori
Hans-Joachim Eberhardt, "Nuovi Studi su Domenico Morone, Girolamo dai Libri e Liberale", Miniatura Veronese del Rinascimento, ed. Gino Castiglioni, Museo del Castelvecchio (Verona, Italy, 1986), pp. 103-151, pp. 113 and 116, and 146 (n. 14), repr. p. 116, fig. IV.18 (recto) and IV.19 (v)
Agnes Mongan, Konrad Oberhuber, and Jonathan Bober, The Famous Italian Drawings at the Fogg Art Museum in Cambridge, Silvana Editoriale (Milan, Italy, 1988), cat. no. 8, n.p., and pp. 22 and 24, and under cat. no. 41, n.p., recto and...
Edward Saywell, "Guide to Drawing Terms and Techniques", Harvard University Art Museums Bulletin, Harvard University Art Museums (Cambridge, MA, 1998), vol. VI, no. 2, pp. 30-39, p. 36 under "Prepared paper"
Carlo Francini, "L'inventario della collezione Loeser alla Villa Gattaia", Bollettino della Società di Studi Fiorentini (2000), no. 6, p. 118 ("Cartella con una stella nera")
Stephan Wolohojian, Sacred and Profane Visions from Renaissance Venice, brochure, Harvard University Art Museums (Cambridge, MA, 2001), cat. no. 18 [not exhibited]
- Exhibition History
Prints and Drawings of the Quattrocento, Fogg Art Museum, Cambridge, 07/03/1981 - 08/31/1981
This record has been reviewed by the curatorial staff but may be incomplete. Our records are frequently revised and enhanced. For more information please contact the Division of European and American Art at email@example.com