- Identification and Creation
- Physical Descriptions
- Brown ink and brown, gray and gray-green wash and black chalk on white antique laid paper
- 15.6 x 12.1 cm (6 1/8 x 4 3/4 in.)
mount: 20.8 x 17.9 cm (8 3/16 x 7 1/16 in.)
- Inscriptions and Marks
- inscription: lower right, brown ink: b[o?] [partly cut off]
- collector's mark: lower left, blue ink, stamp: L. 1902 (Giovanni Morelli)
- inscription: mount, upper left, brown ink: No 172
- inscription: on mount, lower center, brown ink over traces of black chalk: Phil. Koninck. [underlined]
- inscription: mount, lower right, brown ink, scratched out: Rembrandt fe [?]
- inscription: mount, verso, lower right, brown ink: L [pound sign] :60.
- inscription: mount, verso, upper center, graphite: No 134
- inscription: mount, verso, upper right, graphite: Rembrandt / 59
watermark: none visible
Beta will not be made. No watermark is visible; mount is too thick.
- Giovanni Morelli, Milan (L. 1902, with his mark). Charles A. Loeser, Florence, Italy, bequest; to Fogg Art Museum, 1932.
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- Harvard Art Museums/Fogg Museum, Bequest of Charles A. Loeser
- Accession Year
- Object Number
- European and American Art
- The Harvard Art Museums encourage the use of images found on this website for personal, noncommercial use, including educational and scholarly purposes. To request a higher resolution file of this image, please submit an online request.
- Publication History
Corrado Ricci, Rembrandt in Italia, Alfieri & Lacroix (Milan, Italy, 1918), probably pp. 58-63
Agnes Mongan and Paul J. Sachs, Drawings in the Fogg Museum of Art, Harvard University Press (Cambridge, 1940), vol. 1, cat. no. 530, pp. 278-79
Werner Sumowski, Drawings of the Rembrandt School, ed. Walter Strauss, Abaris Books (New York, NY, 1979), vol. 1, cat. no. 282xx, as attributed to Ferdinand Bol
Giulio Bora and M. Cristina Rodeschini Galati, I disegni della collezione Morelli, Credito Bergamasco (Bergamo, Italy, 1988), cat. no. 7, p. 254, repr. p. 255, fig. 7
Carlo Francini, "L'inventario della collezione Loeser alla Villa Gattaia", Bollettino della Società di Studi Fiorentini (2000), no. 6, p. 119 ("Cartella con due stelle d'oro")
- Subjects and Contexts
Dutch, Flemish, & Netherlandish Drawings
This record has been reviewed by the curatorial staff but may be incomplete. Our records are frequently revised and enhanced. For more information please contact the Division of European and American Art at firstname.lastname@example.org