- Identification and Creation
- Physical Descriptions
- Black and white chalk on blue antique laid paper, faded to green-brown, mounted down
- actual: 29.4 x 19.9 cm (11 5/8 x 7 7/8 in.)
- Inscriptions and Marks
- inscription: lower center, brown ink: Antoni van dyck
- collector's mark: lower left, black ink, stamp: L. 2799 [twice] (William Mayor)
- collector's mark: lower right, brown ink, stamp: L. 2364 (Sir Joshua Reynolds)
- inscription: mount, verso, lower left, graphite: 17883
- watermark: none visible
- Joshua Reynolds, London (L. 2364, with his mark). William Mayor, London (L. 2799, with his mark). Charles A. Loeser, Florence, Italy, bequest; to Fogg Art Museum, 1932.
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- Harvard Art Museums/Fogg Museum, Bequest of Charles Alexander Loeser, Esq.
- Accession Year
- Object Number
- European and American Art
- The Harvard Art Museums encourage the use of images found on this website for personal, noncommercial use, including educational and scholarly purposes. To request a higher resolution file of this image, please submit an online request.
- Publication History
Agnes Mongan and Paul J. Sachs, Drawings in the Fogg Museum of Art, Harvard University Press (Cambridge, 1940), vol. 1, cat. no. 469, p. 245; vol. 2, repr. fig. 242, as Van Dyck (?)
Carlo Francini, "L'inventario della collezione Loeser alla Villa Gattaia", Bollettino della Società di Studi Fiorentini (2000), no. 6, p. 122 ("Cartella C.L.")
- Subjects and Contexts
Dutch, Flemish, & Netherlandish Drawings
This record has been reviewed by the curatorial staff but may be incomplete. Our records are frequently revised and enhanced. For more information please contact the Division of European and American Art at firstname.lastname@example.org