- Identification and Creation
- Object Number
Ferdinand-Victor-Eugène Delacroix, French (Charenton Saint-Maurice France 1798 - 1863 Paris France)
- An Arab and His Steed
- Other Titles
- Alternate Title: A Turk Leading His Horse
- Work Type
- c. 1832-1833
- Persistent Link
- Physical Descriptions
- Watercolor on white wove paper
- 22.6 x 30 cm (8 7/8 x 11 13/16 in.)
framed: 48.3 x 52.1 x 2.5 cm (19 x 20 1/2 x 1 in.)
- Inscriptions and Marks
- Signed: brown ink, l.r.: Eug. Delacroix
- Scott and Fowles, New York; acquired from them by Grenville L. Winthrop, September 24, 1925 ($1,500); his bequest to the Fogg Art Museum, 1943.
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- Harvard Art Museums/Fogg Museum, Bequest of Grenville L. Winthrop
- Accession Year
- Object Number
- European and American Art
- THIS WORK MAY NOT BE LENT BY THE TERMS OF ITS ACQUISITION TO THE HARVARD ART MUSEUMS.
- The Harvard Art Museums encourage the use of images found on this website for personal, noncommercial use, including educational and scholarly purposes. To request a higher resolution file of this image, please submit an online request.
- Publication History
Between the Empires: Géricault, Delacroix, Chassériau, exh. cat., Fogg Art Museum (Cambridge, MA, 1946), pg. 10
Agnes Mongan, David to Corot: French Drawings in the Fogg Art Museum, Harvard University Press (Cambridge, MA, 1996), cat. no. 114, repr.
Stephan Wolohojian, ed., A Private Passion: 19th-Century Paintings and Drawings from the Grenville L. Winthrop Collection, Harvard University, exh. cat., The Metropolitan Museum of Art and Yale University Press (U.S.) (New York, 2003), cat. no. 28, repr. (color)
Stephan Wolohojian, Ingres, Burne-Jones, Whistler, Renoir... La Collection Grenville L. Winthrop, exh. cat., Musée des Beaux-Arts de Lyon and Réunion des Musées Nationaux (Paris, France, 2003), no. 28, repr.
- Exhibition History
Between the Empires: Géricault, Delacroix, Chasseriau--Painters of the Romantic Movement, Fogg Art Museum, Cambridge, 04/30/1946 - 06/01/1946
Delacroix in New England Collections, Fogg Art Museum, Cambridge, 10/15/1955 - 11/26/1955
A Private Passion: 19th-Century Paintings and Drawings from the Grenville L. Winthrop Collection, Harvard University, Musée des Beaux-Arts de Lyon, Lyon, 03/15/2003 - 05/26/2003; National Gallery, London, 06/25/2003 - 09/14/2003; The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, 10/23/2003 - 01/25/2004
32Q: 2200 19th Century, Harvard Art Museums, Cambridge, 03/04/2015 - 07/08/2015
This record has been reviewed by the curatorial staff but may be incomplete. Our records are frequently revised and enhanced. For more information please contact the Division of European and American Art at email@example.com