- Identification and Creation
- Physical Descriptions
- Sketchbook with tan cloth covers
- 27 x 17 cm (10 5/8 x 6 11/16 in.)
- Inscriptions and Marks
- inscription: front cover, brown ink: XVI 18/80
- label: inside front cover: ROBERSON & Co. / 99, LONG ACRE, LONDON.
- label: inside front cover: FROM THE LIBRARY OF / EDWARD BURNE-JONES / THE GRANGE NORTH / END ROAD FULHAM
- label: front cover, graphite: 41
- Philip Burne-Jones, the artist's son, London; Miss Gray; acquired from her through Martin Birnbaum by Grenville L. Winthrop, August 1, 1928 (£126 10s for cat. nos. 166-169); his bequest to the Fogg Art Museum, 1943.
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- Harvard Art Museums/Fogg Museum, Bequest of Grenville L. Winthrop
- Accession Year
- Object Number
- European and American Art
- THIS WORK MAY NOT BE LENT BY THE TERMS OF ITS ACQUISITION TO THE HARVARD ART MUSEUMS.
- The Harvard Art Museums encourage the use of images found on this website for personal, noncommercial use, including educational and scholarly purposes. To request a higher resolution file of this image, please submit an online request.
- Sketchbook with tan cloth covers; remains of cloth ties. 12 pages; the last remaining pages are in uncut drawing block. Pages of heavy cream wove paper, measuring 263 x 150 mm. Drawings in graphite and black crayon. Most are signed with the artist's initials. Most of the pages were removed before the sketchbook came to the Fogg.
- Studies for "The Hours," (1870-83), "Flamma Vestalis," (1886), "Hill Fairies" (1881-98), and "The Bath of Venus" (1873-88).
- Publication History
Paintings and Drawings of the Pre-Raphaelites and their Circle, exh. cat., Fogg Art Museum (Cambridge, MA, 1946), cat. no. 46
Dorothy W. Gillerman, ed., Grenville L. Winthrop: Retrospective for a Collector, exh. cat., Fogg Art Museum (Cambridge, 1969), cat. no. 112b
Alvin L. Clark, Jr., Drawing on Tradition: The Lost Legacy of Academic Figure Studies, Harvard University Art Museums Gallery Series, Harvard University Art Museums (Cambridge, 1994), no. 12, checklist no. 10, p. 11
Stephan Wolohojian, ed., A Private Passion: 19th-Century Paintings and Drawings from the Grenville L. Winthrop Collection, Harvard University, exh. cat., The Metropolitan Museum of Art and Yale University Press (U.S.) (New York, 2003), cat. no. 169, repr. (color)
- Exhibition History
Paintings and Drawings of the Pre-Raphaelites and their Circle, Fogg Art Museum, Cambridge, 04/08/1946 - 06/01/1946
Grenville L. Winthrop: Retrospective for a Collector, Fogg Art Museum, Cambridge, 01/23/1969 - 03/31/1969
Portrait, Prospect and Poetry: British Drawings from the Grenville L. Winthrop Bequest, Harvard University Art Museums, Cambridge, 09/11/1993 - 11/07/1993
Drawing on Tradition: The Lost Legacy of Academic Figure Studies, Harvard University Art Museums, Cambridge, 11/19/1994 - 01/29/1995
A Private Passion: 19th-Century Paintings and Drawings from the Grenville L. Winthrop Collection, Harvard University, The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, 10/23/2003 - 01/25/2004
Under Cover: Artists' Sketchbooks, Harvard University Art Museums, Fogg Art Museum, Cambridge, 08/01/2006 - 10/22/2006
- Related Works
This record has been reviewed by the curatorial staff but may be incomplete. Our records are frequently revised and enhanced. For more information please contact the Division of European and American Art at email@example.com