- Identification and Creation
- Physical Descriptions
- Charcoal, gray wash, and red chalk on off-white antique laid paper
- 42.5 x 30.6 cm (16 3/4 x 12 1/16 in.)
- Paul Bureau, Paris, by 1910. Nicholas Auguste Hazard, Orrouy, sold [through his sale, Hôtel Drouot, Paris, December 10, 1919, no. 321]. André Schoeller, Paris. [Maurice Gobin, Paris, by 1921]. [Scott & Fowles, New York] sold; to Grenville L. Winthrop, January 20, 1922, bequest; to Fogg Art Museum, 1943.
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- Harvard Art Museums/Fogg Museum, Bequest of Grenville L. Winthrop
- Accession Year
- Object Number
- European and American Art
- THIS WORK MAY NOT BE LENT BY THE TERMS OF ITS ACQUISITION TO THE HARVARD ART MUSEUMS.
- The Harvard Art Museums encourage the use of images found on this website for personal, noncommercial use, including educational and scholarly purposes. To request a higher resolution file of this image, please submit an online request.
- Publication History
Erich Klossowski, Honoré Daumier, R. Piper (Munich, Germany, 1923), p. 114, cat. no. 302B
Agnes Mongan, Great Drawings of All Time, ed. Ira Moskowitz and Victoria Thorson, Shorewood Publishers Inc. (New York, 1962), cat. no. 754, n.p., repr.
Catherine W. Blanton, "An Unpublished Daumier Panel in the Fogg Art Museum: 'Scapin and Géronte' ", The Burlington Magazine (October 1966)
Karl E. Maison, Honoré Daumier: Catalogue Raisonné of the Paintings, Watercolours, and Drawings, Volume II The Watercolors and Drawings, Thames and Hudson, Ltd. and New York Graphic Society Ltd. (England, 1968), p. 242, cat. no. 729
Sarah Symmons, Daumier, Oresko Books Ltd. (London, England, 1979), p. 75, repr. pl. 52
Roger Passeron, Daumier: Témoin de son Temps, La Bibliothèque des Arts (Paris, 1979), p. 84 + 87, repr. p. 87
Judith Wechsler, Daumier, Flammarion (Paris, France, 1999), p. 40, repr. (color)
Stephan Wolohojian, ed., A Private Passion: 19th-Century Paintings and Drawings from the Grenville L. Winthrop Collection, Harvard University, exh. cat., The Metropolitan Museum of Art and Yale University Press (U.S.) (New York, 2003), cat. no. 12, repr. (color)
Stephan Wolohojian, Ingres, Burne-Jones, Whistler, Renoir... La Collection Grenville L. Winthrop, exh. cat., Musée des Beaux-Arts de Lyon and Réunion des Musées Nationaux (Paris, France, 2003), no. 12, repr.
Ewa Lajer-Burcharth and Elizabeth M. Rudy, ed., Drawing: The Invention of a Modern Medium, exh. cat., Harvard Art Museums (Cambridge, 2017), pp. 82-83, 281, repr. p. 82 as fig. 5
- Exhibition History
A Private Passion: 19th-Century Paintings and Drawings from the Grenville L. Winthrop Collection, Harvard University, Musée des Beaux-Arts de Lyon, Lyon, 03/15/2003 - 05/26/2003; National Gallery, London, 06/25/2003 - 09/14/2003; The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, 10/23/2003 - 01/25/2004
This record has been reviewed by the curatorial staff but may be incomplete. Our records are frequently revised and enhanced. For more information please contact the Division of European and American Art at email@example.com